• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee .38/.357 die question

According to Berry's:
"Question: Taper or Roll Crimp?
You can use both the Taper and Roll Crimp on Berry's Bullets.

We recommend a light crimp on the bullet, just enough to put pressure against the bullet without denting or deforming the plating. If you were to pull the bullet out of a case with the proper crimp you would find no more than a scratch on the surface of the plating. If you are denting or deforming the bullet, your accuracy will suffer and the bullet may start to tumble before it hits the target.?

You should lightly chamfer the case mouth (inside and out) on all cases so there is no sharp edge to cut the bullet.
Personally, I don't buy the 4-die set. I buy the three die set and either the simple Lee Taper Crimp Die or a Redding Profile Crimp Die (for roll crimping) and NEVER seat and crimp in one operation. I shoot too many lead bullets and have had the FCD swage them down (not just read about it, had it happen a couple of times). In the OPs case, this isn't an issue, but...

I don't shoot or reload .38 / .357 anymore, but I did use the separate Lee Crimp Die with them and was pleased with the results. I especially like the extra die for .45 Colt loading.

My favorite loads were the 147GR Hollow Base Wad Cutter. A really pleasant and accurate load that makes shooting cans / bottles filled with water a real "Blast" ... they literally explode!

Considering the fact that it has far more energy than a .22 (and about the same "kick"), it is my recommendation not only for practice, but for anyone learning to shoot. Especially for women who have not mastered handling recoil yet.

I did read about some experimenting with inverting and gas-checking them for some fun with shooting 2x4's ... as well as defense loads. Just be aware that this is a much tougher load to craft .... and should be left to someone with more experience.

Batch your reloading cases based upon case length: an unexpected "short" or "long" case can screw things up!

Don't use a FCD for lead bullets, and particularly NOT for L-HBWCs (they really don't do well if swaged down at all).
If you seat the bullet straight/square, using the proper case expander diameter, enough flare to let the bullet sit straight/square on the case, and a seating stem that fits the bullet to keep it under control, the is no use for the LEE FCD—though, if you pop out the carbide ring, it is a pretty good crimp die, I have to admit.

Back
Top Bottom