• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee Auto-Prime

I have no problems from my new lee ( well it was new about 2 years ago).
I did like the round tray better but as to operation it works as well as the old one for me?
now I have replaced at least 2 if not 3 over the years as they began to do exactly what yours did, not seating the primer deep enough, I looked the mechanism and the rod had worn down from use over the years just enough to cause a slightly high primer.
maybe that was the problem with yours.
anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it.

That's what I was thinking-- that I slap wore it out! But it takes experience to figure that out, and my problem was "revolver doesn't go bang any more". I don't like that. But figured out and fixed.

BTW, Dillon owners-- if you don't have your process under control in tightening down the shell plate you can have the same problem. I'm an expert now, but I've had some issues with that over the years. Got to get that sucker down tight. Or you'll have some "clicks" when you expect "bangs". Well, assuming you've lightened the revolver mainspring. If you're running a factory setup, you'll never notice.

FWIW, I know what I'm doing, and the RCBS is a functional improvement over the Lee, random "crowd" ratings notwithstanding. It also works with shells that won't fit in the Lee. Like .470 NE, but that's not a common situation. I wish I could say that was "my" problem, but alas, I load that for a friend. Fun to shoot though.

I've retired two of the old Lee units. I had one set up for large, and one for small. But I eventually became dissatisfied with how they were seating the primers; sometimes not all the way down, and inconsistently. May have been wear; they'd done many thousands by that point.

I got the RCBS hand primer. Much, much more of a PITA to set up than the Lee. However, it's utterly consistent in seating depth.

Some of the new Lee stuff (at least the powder thrower) is not nearly the quality of days gone by. It was a bargain in 2002... not today. It's still inexpensive, but now it doesn't work very well. I managed to patch up the old one with parts from the new one.
I've done that myself!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I picked up a box full of the old round units last year at an estate sale. I've used one for years and misplaced my small primer arm rod so I bought a newer square one a few years back. I hate that POS. the round ones have never given me a minutes problem. I have issues with the square model not seating the primer deep enough and then when I try a second time it will have feed another primer into battery. Again I like the old round ones, I would buy them off Ebay used before buying another square one. I have no experience with Franklin armory units.

I got a Franklin from Cabelas, "On Sale" and "Free Shipping". My initial take on the unit is "Substantial Construction"!
Haven't had time to actually use it yet, but looking forward to doing so. One "curiosity" though: it only comes with one tray!

More later, after I actually use it!

I got a Franklin from Cabelas, "On Sale" and "Free Shipping". My initial take on the unit is "Substantial Construction"!
Haven't had time to actually use it yet, but looking forward to doing so. One "curiosity" though: it only comes with one tray!

More later, after I actually use it!

Well, there has been initial problems with the Franklin unit: jams in feeding the large primer application. The "Adjustable Feature" may be the culprit making its utility questionable. The Franklin people have been outstanding in their support and are just as puzzled by my experience as me. They claim is that there have been very, very few problems with the unit. They are going to replace it with a new one and send a call tag to ship the questionable unit back to them where they say they will extensively test it to determine the cause of my problems.

Keep in mind: just about everything is being made in China these days, where quality control is ... spotty at best and always suspect; what you got shipped to you yesterday is likely not as good as what was shipped before!
Currently, the only way a company can assure that quality for a Chinese factory is consistently acceptable is to go to the trouble of establishing, owning and hands-on managing your own factory there ... even then you will find nepotism and political influence, as well as outright bribery, is the norm!

I'll keep you posted

BTI (Franklin's Ownership) sent me a replacement, and it does work 100% on small pistol primers. There may be a "Learning Opportunity" in that the adjustability regarding seating-depth may need attention on TULA primers. I have read that they are a tiny bit "shallower" than US MFG product (.0008 shallower), making seating something to give attention. This is true for some progressives and looks to be true for the Franklin unit, as I had multiple failures to fire incidents. A side-by-side Investigation of the before / after strikes including a side-by-side with CCI primers clearly show the difference in depth, as well as the apparent toughness of the TULA metal! I will be contacting Franklin to determine their own experience as well as suggestions for mitigation of this problem.

Yes, I am aware that some striker-springs are not strong enough to overcome the TULA-Tough-Case problem.

The feedback on TULA Primers is consistent: they are either loved or hated; nothing in between!
The toughness of the primer body does have a history of failure with non-milspec firearms. It appears to be a hammer-spring-strength-thing ...

In other news: The replacement Franklin Arsenal Priming Tool appears to be working at 100%. My only real complaint is that the body of the primer-seating-ram is difficult to depress when changing out shell plates! Kudos to BTI Customer Service, they really know how to treat a customer!

Back
Top Bottom