• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal immigrant

Read the atf regs, you need to meet specific conditions, including visa types, then see what an FFL says, if that's where the purchase will be made.

Been there, done it.

It's because it's a nonimmigrant visa. Work visa needs to meet other exceptions to own.
IMO, a "good friend who will be here on a [temporary] work visa" wanting to do some 'hunting and stuff' should be happy with RENTING a gun somewhere he'll pretend to go shooting water foul, deer or whatnot.

IF there is a hunting license/course exemption, it is only a pretext to be able to buy a gun and keep it for something else. I say no. There are enough restrictions for real American citizens here, why in the heck do our laws have to make it easier for transients [which is what a temporary work visa is] to subvert them? Is the 'temporary' work visa status not intended to be temporary? Does this person intend to figure out a way to make his status permanent? No? If not, what happens to the 'exempted per the rules' guns he bought during his time here and he goes home? See what's going on here?......

Actually, you need one if getting a first time license in Ga. also. My wife took one last year, they're online.

Don't think so. GA. is a "must issue" state.

But in response to the OP, your friend can buy a gun if he has a hunting license. That was the loophole the Muslim who shot up all those people in Pensacola used. To get the hunting license, he probably has to take a hunter safety course. I have not looked at whether he can buy a gun with one of the temporary hunting licenses for which no hunter safety course is required.

At one time there was a sporting competition exception, but I haven't checked on that recently.

Don't think so. GA. is a "must issue" state.

But in response to the OP, your friend can buy a gun if he has a hunting license. That was the loophole the Muslim who shot up all those people in Pensacola used. To get the hunting license, he probably has to take a hunter safety course. I have not looked at whether he can buy a gun with one of the temporary hunting licenses for which no hunter safety course is required.

At one time there was a sporting competition exception, but I haven't checked on that recently.

Here' straight out of the Hunting Regs.

Hunter Education
All hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1961 must successfully complete a hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license. Hunter education is not required if purchasing an Apprentice License or short-term license, if you are hunting on your own land, or if you are hunting pen raised game birds on a licensed shooting preserve.

Here' straight out of the Hunting Regs.

Hunter Education
All hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1961 must successfully complete a hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license. Hunter education is not required if purchasing an Apprentice License or short-term license, if you are hunting on your own land, or if you are hunting pen raised game birds on a licensed shooting preserve.
Hunters Over Age 25
Hunters over age 25 and born after January 1, 1961 must meet hunter education course requirements but need not present their hunter education certificate when buying a season hunting license or possess it while hunting

Maybe this why I never did it, they never asked.

Back
Top Bottom