• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal Question About Firearms on Public School Property.

yes thats my understanding of it, very useful as I pickup and drop off kids at school. It can be on my person as long as I'm in the vehicle but if I exit the vehicle on school grounds it has to be left in the vehicle, locked and secured (the vehicle)

That depends on what your local D.A. defines "picking up or dropping off".
I met with one of the D.A.'s in my county & asked this specific question for clarification in gun classes & was told that they define it as a permit holder could accompany their child to class as long as they went straight to the classroom & straight out w/o stopping to loiter in the office, cafeteria, gym, etc.
I would recommend getting an opinion from the D.A.'s office in your county as those opinions may vary.

I met with one of the D.A.'s in my county & asked this specific question for clarification in gun classes & was told that they define it as a permit holder could accompany their child to class as long as they went straight to the classroom & straight out w/o stopping to loiter in the office, cafeteria, gym, etc.
I would recommend getting an opinion from the D.A.'s office in your county as those opinions may vary.
Opinion is the problem. Not to mention when the something happens and the DA throws you under the bus because he is a politician.

Yes, I understood it to mean you can have it in the vehicle. You dont have to sweat having your carry piece on or your deer rifle behind the seat when picking up or dropping off "at the curb" so to speak.

For those that dont know. There is a specific entrance at the school where you drive up, a teacher meets you at the curb, they open your door, your kid gets out and goes in. In the afternoon you hang a number on your rear view mirror. They see you coming in the line and get your kid, meet you at the curb and you pick the kid up. You never exit the vehicle in all of this.

I dont see how "Picking up and dropping off" could mean walking into school with it but hey good for you if your DA gives such a liberal definition of it.

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a 291 permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student 292 at a school building, within a school safety zone, at a school function, or school property 293 or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the a school or a person who is licensed 294 in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code 295 Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such 296 vehicle is parked at such school property within a school safety zone or is in transit 297 through a designated school safety zone; 298

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a 299 motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in 300 a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being 301 used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, 302 within a school safety zone, at a school function, or school property or on a bus or other 303 transportation furnished by the a school, or when such vehicle is used to transport 304 someone to an activity being conducted on school property within a school safety zone 305 which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school or local board of 306 education as provided by paragraph (6) of this subsection; provided, however, that this 307 exception shall not apply to a student attending such a public or private elementary or 308 secondary school;

Yes, I understood it to mean you can have it in the vehicle. You dont have to sweat having your carry piece on or your deer rifle behind the seat when picking up or dropping off "at the curb" so to speak.

For those that dont know. There is a specific entrance at the school where you drive up, a teacher meets you at the curb, they open your door, your kid gets out and goes in. In the afternoon you hang a number on your rear view mirror. They see you coming in the line and get your kid, meet you at the curb and you pick the kid up. You never exit the vehicle in all of this.

I dont see how "Picking up and dropping off" could mean walking into school with it but hey good for you if your DA gives such a liberal definition of it.

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a 291 permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student 292 at a school building, within a school safety zone, at a school function, or school property 293 or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the a school or a person who is licensed 294 in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code 295 Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such 296 vehicle is parked at such school property within a school safety zone or is in transit 297 through a designated school safety zone; 298

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a 299 motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in 300 a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being 301 used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, 302 within a school safety zone, at a school function, or school property or on a bus or other 303 transportation furnished by the a school, or when such vehicle is used to transport 304 someone to an activity being conducted on school property within a school safety zone 305 which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school or local board of 306 education as provided by paragraph (6) of this subsection; provided, however, that this 307 exception shall not apply to a student attending such a public or private elementary or 308 secondary school;

I actually have a letter from my kids schlol allowing my carry.
The D.A. I met with had to break out another code book but was very definite in his answer.
However that is why I suggested meeting with the one in your specific county.

To be accurate, "picking up or dropping off" has been removed from ga law. The governor wrongfully fought to have it remain in ga code, but what is legal is the law that was passed. Unfortunately, if you are "caught" carrying on campus, though campus carry was passed as a law, you will most likely be arrested and treated as a criminal, as that is what le has been instructed to do.

I recommend reading up on gapacking. There are lawsuits in progress about this. Make an informed decision about this, it's not a simple matter as the government has muddied it up.

No. You can have it in your vehicle however it is most likely a workplace violation that can be used to terminate you.
Signed many school contracts, and there was no clause in them about weapons. So I believe it is legal according to state law. I often asked LEOs who worked with me their ideas, but most were ignorant of the newer state laws.

To be accurate, "picking up or dropping off" has been removed from ga law. The governor wrongfully fought to have it remain in ga code, but what is legal is the law that was passed. Unfortunately, if you are "caught" carrying on campus, though campus carry was passed as a law, you will most likely be arrested and treated as a criminal, as that is what le has been instructed to do.

I recommend reading up on gapacking. There are lawsuits in progress about this. Make an informed decision about this, it's not a simple matter as the government has muddied it up.

Per O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1 paragraph 7 it is still shown as legal when a "person who carries or picks up"....

Where is that contradicted?

I use to work maintenance for my local education system. There was a teacher that was fired and for good measure they searched his vehicle. They found a 38 revolver in his jeep that was legal and nothing they could do however the boot knife on his person is what got him. I was told even maintenance was allowed a gun in the vehicle and that knives not meant to be concealed were fine.

Back
Top Bottom