• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

Not a gun, but certainly firearms-related.
What's the name of this 9 x 19 ammo that I remember reading about when I was young?

5A77B177-09EA-40AE-96EB-9588F1FC2B7D.jpeg
20B0007B-24F6-4CB5-A655-4B91109583FF.jpeg

bump.
This round could be called two different things-- one based on its name as it was known in Europe in the 1970s and then a more catchy name for marketing purposes here in the USA in the 1980s.
I'll take either name.

oK, let's end this challenge and try something else.

The ammo shown above -- featuring a copper Hollowpoint bullet with a plastic tip plugging the hollow cavity, but which would have the plastic tip blown out immediately upon firing thanks to a small hole going right through the center of the bullet to its base directly over the powder charge-- was called the B.A.T. round.

Blitz Action Trauma. It actually had an image of a cave-dwelling, mosquito-eating bat for a logo, as marketed in the USA in the 1980's.

But this ammunition was developed in Austria in the 1970s and used by West German anti-terrorist squads shortly after.
The European names varied a little, but "Action Geschoss" or "Action Bullet" were most common. "Action Trauma" was also something they were commonly called although I don't know if that was ever printed on a box.

The headstamps read "GECO."

The plastic tip would fall away out of the bullet's path upon firing,
but its presence during the loading and feeding made it as reliable as FMJ ammo.

This was important back in the days before Hollow point ammo was common .

Yep, Mondragon.
Named after a Mexican general who designed it.
Other Mondragon rifles are bolt action, but this is the model of 1908-- a semi auto.

It was adopted and integrated into the Mexican military in large enough numbers that it's fair to say this is the first successful semi auto battle rifle, from an era where nearly all military infantry rifles were bolt action.

BE55F2D4-291B-4141-AA09-096B904BEC4F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom