• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Let’s talk scopes

I'm a Leupold fan, but in crippen's budget range, I also like Vortex's Diamondback, Weaver Grand Slam, and Nikon's Monarch lineup.

Regarding CDS: I've never used it, but I wouldn't consider it for eastern/woods whitetail hunting. I'm sure, for somebody who cares about that last 0.5" of accuracy off a bench, it could be useful. I don't know about other folks, but I can't achieve that kind of precision in the woods, and I won't kid myself otherwise.

For that additional 5 minutes of legal light and better capability to see, it is worth it to me...Even though I don't even own a 50mm at this time. Lol

Everyone else's mileage may vary.
As long as they keep their scope set on that very narrow power range where there actually is an advantage....

What do you mean by keep it classy? I was going stipple it on my drill press. That’s classy right?

This is going to sound dumb because maybe it is dumb, but I'm going to say it anyway. If the barreled receiver is gloss, I can't stand to put a flat matte optic on it. There's nothing practical about it, I know. On a few rifles I've gone with Leupold over some comparable optics due to finish option on the tube.

Right now I don't think this can be beat. It's a Light Optical Work Japan Optic. That company makes Nightforce, Elite Bushnells, Tango 6's, Razors, EOTech Vudu's etc. The only reason they are even in your price range is because they are direct to consumer. No distributors, no retailers, no reps. You get a pure pass through directly to you. Otherwise this scope is $1000. And take a look at the weight of it. This scope is going on an upcoming Ruger #1 build for me:
https://shop.mavenbuilt.com/collections/stock-optics/products/rs-2

Thats a nice looking rifle you have btw. Keep it classy regardless of your scope choice.

Interesting. I'm knee deep in scopes or I'd give this one serious consideration. Years ago, I heard a similar point of view on Meopta optics, which seemed a relative bargain then.

So what’s the verdict on the CDS. Seems like a frill I’ll never use. If someone answered that I missed it.
Meh. Never felt the need. Besides, as soon as you change ammo or have any real atmospheric changes, the dial won't match anyway. If I'm hunting long range, and that's the only time a CDS will come into play, I simply tape the come ups that match the conditions to the rifle butt for quick reference.

If you want to play around with learning more about come ups and how atmospheric conditions effect bullet flight, check out the Applied Ballistics App for your phone. Cool little program that was developed by one of the top Ballisticians in the world.

This is going to sound dumb because maybe it is dumb, but I'm going to say it anyway. If the barreled receiver is gloss, I can't stand to put a flat matte optic on it. There's nothing practical about it, I know. On a few rifles I've gone with Leupold over some comparable optics due to finish option on the tube.

Lol I can relate.

Reactions: GFB
Not dumb. Important! :nod:

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom