• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk scopes

I'm feeling the need to go play at CMP sometime in the near future. If you want to go stretch out the new rifle and learn a little about long range, let's get together and go have some fun.

Since your rifle is new, let's reopen this can of worms.

Barrel break in can make a big difference in accuracy and you only have one chance to do it right. My recommendation is as follows. You can use any cheap jacketed ammo to do this.

I have found that a carefully done break in can make all the difference in the world. Most high end after market barrels have already been hand lapped, so it may not be necessary. On everything else, this is how I do it.
1) Clean the hell out of it first.
I use an aerosol bore cleaner and spray it from breach towards muzzle while holding the rifle muzzle down until it is running out the end. Then I run a brush through it ten time. 1 rep is down and back. When pulling it back through from the muzzle, make contact with the crown gently so as not to damage it. Then spray the barrel again with the bore cleaner until it is running freely out the muzzle.

2) Run a patch from breach to muzzle and remove the patch once it is outside the muzzle. Do not pull it back through. It's best to use a good quality jag when doing this. I run three or four patches.

3) Fire one round.

4) Repeat steps 1 through 3 until you have fired 5 rounds.

5) Repeat steps 1 and 2 then fire 3 rounds.

6) Repeat step 5 until you have fired 15 rounds.

You will have fired a total of 20 rounds. This is a PITA to do and totally worth it. The idea is to smooth out imperfections while removing the debris from the bore that those first shots create. The last thing you want is to re-embed them.

Since your rifle is new, let's reopen this can of worms.

Barrel break in can make a big difference in accuracy and you only have one chance to do it right. My recommendation is as follows. You can use any cheap jacketed ammo to do this.

I have found that a carefully done break in can make all the difference in the world. Most high end after market barrels have already been hand lapped, so it may not be necessary. On everything else, this is how I do it.
1) Clean the hell out of it first.
I use an aerosol bore cleaner and spray it from breach towards muzzle while holding the rifle muzzle down until it is running out the end. Then I run a brush through it ten time. 1 rep is down and back. When pulling it back through from the muzzle, make contact with the crown gently so as not to damage it. Then spray the barrel again with the bore cleaner until it is running freely out the muzzle.

2) Run a patch from breach to muzzle and remove the patch once it is outside the muzzle. Do not pull it back through. It's best to use a good quality jag when doing this. I run three or four patches.

3) Fire one round.

4) Repeat steps 1 through 3 until you have fired 5 rounds.

5) Repeat steps 1 and 2 then fire 3 rounds.

6) Repeat step 5 until you have fired 15 rounds.

You will have fired a total of 20 rounds. This is a PITA to do and totally worth it. The idea is to smooth out imperfections while removing the debris from the bore that those first shots create. The last thing you want is to re-embed them.

My rifle is new to me, not new. Close worm can :p

I'm feeling the need to go play at CMP sometime in the near future. If you want to go stretch out the new rifle and learn a little about long range, let's get together and go have some fun.

I would love to do this. I am a total novice and excited to learn. We will have to postpone till after deer season though. Whatever very limited free time I have I need to spend sitting in the woods.

Let me verify something with the panel of experts here before I squeeze the trigger.

If I’m zeroed in at 25 yards I’m gtg out to 100-125 and well within ethical kill shot area on a deer, correct?

Back
Top Bottom