• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk scopes

Let me verify something with the panel of experts here before I squeeze the trigger.

If I’m zeroed in at 25 yards I’m gtg out to 100-125 and well within ethical kill shot area on a deer, correct?
Probably, but it's much better to actually shoot at the range you want to be zeroed at.

Well crap! Guess I need to go zero before I hunt again...

Better to know before I hurt a deer though.

Worry about it after the season. If you're zeroed at 25 yards; a cross-hair on the center vitals at 100 is still a dead deer. If it's bugging you, read the trajectory table for your preferred round and adjust your aim accordingly. Plenty of time in the off season to overthink it.

Let me verify something with the panel of experts here before I squeeze the trigger.

If I’m zeroed in at 25 yards I’m gtg out to 100-125 and well within ethical kill shot area on a deer, correct?
I tried that "26 yard zero" crap last year, it put me at about 12" high at 200 yards. Sight it in at 100.

Worry about it after the season. If you're zeroed at 25 yards; a cross-hair on the center vitals at 100 is still a dead deer. If it's bugging you, read the trajectory table for your preferred round and adjust your aim accordingly. Plenty of time in the off season to overthink it.
I've seen rifles this worked with and ones that very definitely did not. A couple of hours travel time and ten minutes shooting to confirm zero is well worth avoiding wounding a deer.

Definitely, if you're using a .270, but you're not, so best of luck.
LOL...You should be fine. I would sight in at 100, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom