• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk scopes

Leupold is no longer the de facto choice in that price range. While you won't "make a mistake" buying Leupold, there ARE other viable options and often priced more reasonably. I'd really love for fanboys to do a low light 'blind' test through various makes and models. I suspect some would get their feelings hurt.
Now, I have more Leupolds than anything else, but I try and be practical. I've mentioned before but the last 4 hunting scopes I bought, in no particular order are ...
Leupold VX III 4.5-14 x 40 AO
Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 x 42
Sightron SII BigSky 4.5-14 x42
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 x40 (Stole that one on clearance).

I honestly would fail my own "blind test' discerning between the four. I'm not saying there aren't some differences but they are immaterial for hunting purposes. The noticeable difference I can find is the fit and finish on the Burris is a 'touch' less impressive. That's really nit picking.

Here's something else people fail to realize.... NOBODY'S EYES ARE THE SAME! What looks best to me, may not to you and vice versa. I've had rifle scopes my entire life. It's about impossible to really test a hunting scope in a store. Not always available but find a buddy with a long view off their deck and a model (or more) that you are interested in and go sit on their deck one evening and test out the low light gathering and edge clarity. Any scope in that range shoudl have no problem repeatedly holding zero. (Having said that, even NightForce occasionally does but you won't be adjusting this scope much if at all once set.) PM coming your way.....

3x9 is more than sufficient and obviously the most popular but a 3x multiplier was all there used to be (readily available). You can now get 4x or more so don't overlook searches on 2.5-10x etc....

Great points. I have noticed there is quite a difference between 3x9x40 vs 3x9x50 in low light, when comparing the same exact model scope, and obviously low light is often prime time for hunting. Yep, everyone's eyes are different. For me, and speaking only for me, I am more concerned with a scope's capabilities in low light conditions than I am about its long range capabilities. The OP stated his hunting grounds offer mostly 100 yards and closer shot opportunities. In that case I would prefer a 2x7 with good light gathering ability than a big glass that doesn't gather light as well.

Often now days new companies offer superior scopes for less money. But like myself. Paying less often brings on the indecision and thinking cheaper can lead to junk, and by this i mean less than a grand

Less than a grand is cheap? For a hunting scope? :shocked:

Leupold is over-priced at any given price-point compared to what you get from just about any other quality manufacturer. They are also the only ones that don't seem to know the difference between IPHY and MOA and consistently make scopes with a combination of MOA, mrad and IPHY.
For long range precision scopes, I agree. But for a typical hunting scope they are a good choice. Especially in that price range. I've also run into the issue of the scope adjustments not doing what they are supposed to, but frankly, once a hunting scoped is zeroed the only further adjustments will be to confirm zero or if you change ammo. It's not like long range shooting where you are constantly spinning knobs. Zero a 308 hunting rifle at 200 yards and you may never have to adjust the scope again.

For long range precision scopes, I agree. But for a typical hunting scope they are a good choice. Especially in that price range. I've also run into the issue of the scope adjustments not doing what they are supposed to, but frankly, once a hunting scoped is zeroed the only further adjustments will be to confirm zero or if you change ammo. It's not like long range shooting where you are constantly spinning knobs. Zero a 308 hunting rifle at 200 yards and you may never have to adjust the scope again.
Agree for the most part, but glass and coating quality is still sub-par for the price points as well. Hard to hit what you can't see walking through the brush at dusk.

Less than a grand is cheap? For a hunting scope? :shocked:
My recommendation for a scope in this thread stayed strictly within his price range, but I agree spending a bit more would be better. I've become a Nightforce guy for the most part. Especially since they came out with the SHV scopes. The 3-10 SHV is really hard to beat. The clarity, precision of adjustment and MOA reticle gives it much greater capability than a typical hunting scope in a rather compact package, but it runs about $850.

With all that said, that scope simply isn't going to make a difference for him unless he goes way beyond what most hunters are going to need.

Reactions: MRH
Agree for the most part, but glass and coating quality is still sub-par for the price points as well. Hard to hit what you can't see walking through the brush at dusk.
I've used a lot of Leupolds for hunting and have never had that issue. I've never had to pass on a deer because I couldn't see it well enough if it was within legal hunting hours.

My recommendation for a scope in this thread stayed strictly within his price range, but I agree spending a bit more would be better. I've become a Nightforce guy for the most part. Especially since they came out with the SHV scopes. The 3-10 SHV is really hard to beat. The clarity, precision of adjustment and MOA reticle gives it much greater capability than a typical hunting scope in a rather compact package, but it runs about $850.

With all that said, that scope simply isn't going to make a difference for him unless he goes way beyond what most hunters are going to need.

His hunting area offers mostly 100 yard shots and closer, according to him. His criteria doesn't really demand a higher end scope...Unless of course that is what he wants. More power to him if he wants a higher dollar glass. There's nothing wrong with it.

I realize not all glass is equal. Not even close. Some of the higher end scopes are fantastic. I have never needed one for hunting, but everyone is different.

Again, I will foot stomp the point of having good low light capabilty. In the woods and fields I have hunted, I believe it is the most vital aspect of a good hunting scope.

Great points. I have noticed there is quite a difference between 3x9x40 vs 3x9x50 in low light, when comparing the same exact model scooe, and obviously low light is often prime time for hunting. Yep, everyone's eyes are different. For me, and speaking only for me, I am more concerned with a scope's capabilities in low light conditions than I am about its long range capabilities. The OP stated his hunting grounds offer mostly 100 yards and closer shot opportunities. In that case I would prefer a 2x7 with good light gathering ability than a big glass that doesn't gather light as well.
Your experience is obviously common and I don't doubt your perception, but... I read an article once on the physics behind scopes and objective size and it made the case that the limiting factor in a 3x9x40 or 50 is not the objective, but the physiology of the human eye. The summary as I remember it, is you could not in fact tell the difference, especially at lower magnification levels, due to limits of the human eye. Of course I can't find the article now... :rolleyes:
Perhaps someone is familiar with what I'm referencing.
I have an older Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x 40. The low light gathering leaves much to be desired. I suspect it's me trying to constantly count the whiskers on the coyote's snout from 200 yards at last light using full magnification, than it is improvements in glass/coatings etc... but who knows. I just know it's a let down. :( I do believe a 50m in that setup would make a difference.

I've used a lot of Leupolds for hunting and have never had that issue. I've never had to pass on a deer because I couldn't see it well enough if it was within legal hunting hours.
And there is the rub. On a clear evening, over looking a pasture, most all scopes will give you enough light to see well BEYOND legal light (in Georgia). Conversely, on a thickly clouded evening, under an early season thick canopy, you're done at least 15 if not 30 minutes before legal light is over even with the most expensive glass.

Back
Top Bottom