• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lets talk AR triggers (Single Stage vs Two Stage)

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I dont consider myself a newb but I realize there are some things I dont know and I know some of you guys have considerably more experience than I do so I look forward to your input.

I've always thought that for a battle or CQB rifle you want a single stage trigger, aside from the fact of because thats what "mil-spec" is I'm not quite sure. I dont know if factors like stress of the shooter, durability, etc has any bearing on it but I've just always thought that was the case. On the other hand two stage was for precision or long range shooting because you could stage the trigger and get that accurate shot.

Now I'm wondering if putting a two stage trigger in a battle rifle is a good idea. I've never shot a two stage trigger before. I have a ALG ACT trigger in a 10.5" SBR that seems good but feels like my factory Colt trigger. I also have a Geissele SD-3G that I have yet to run thoroughly, I've only test fired that lower. I picked up a Geissele G2S trigger during their Cyber Monday sale and I have a lower thats going to be Form 1 with a 11.5 upper on it. I'm wondering if I should put the G2S in there. It will be mostly for range use but thinking about its functionality in a course of fire like what you would experience at a carbine class.

So are 2 stage triggers better all around or do they really shine in precision and distance shooting?

I've used both. It comes down to personal preference and training. For most shooters, the single stage fits the bill and it's one less thing to manage when firing under stress. Thus it's common use in a battle rifle.

I have a 2 stage in an AR15 and it works well for precision slow firing. I find no real difference with using the 2 stage for rapid fire.

I've leaned more towards a lighter single stage. 3lb Velocity trigger, single stage, drop in. It has some take up and a solid wall, with a clean break and minimal over travel.

High Power shooter in me prefers 2 stage triggers all around. I haven't started the "pew-pew-pew @ 15 yard targets" competitions yet so I'll reserve judgement on a single stage although I understand that's the preferred trigger for that type of shooting.

You’re a little backwards. Traditionally, battle rifles and carbines have been 2-stage while precision/Sniper rifles tend to be single stage.......at least in the US.

It’s all a matter of personal taste, use what you want and feel most comfortable with. I prefer 2-stages triggers in my general purpose rifles and carbines and single-stage in my precision rigs. My Steyr SSG69 has a 2-stage, but that’s because that’s what the Europeans have traditionally used.

In terms of reliability and lasting, any of the Geissele triggers will outlast most of the guns they’re installed in. You’ll have no worries there.

You’re a little backwards. Traditionally, battle rifles and carbines have been 2-stage while precision/Sniper rifles tend to be single stage.......at least in the US.

It’s all a matter of personal taste, use what you want and feel most comfortable with. I prefer 2-stages triggers in my general purpose rifles and carbines and single-stage in my precision rigs. My Steyr SSG69 has a 2-stage, but that’s because that’s what the Europeans have traditionally used.

In terms of reliability and lasting, any of the Geissele triggers will outlast most of the guns they’re installed in. You’ll have now worries there.

I think in terms of bolt action precision rigs then yes single stage but SPR/DMR type AR rifles I've always thought they use 2 stages triggers so they could go through the first stage, hold at the 2nd stage and break it exactly when they wanted?

It looks like I just need to install the two stage trigger and get some time behind it so I can see the difference myself.

Back
Top Bottom