Let's talk axle ratios

When you increase tire size, of course you have to go to a lower ratio. If you left a set 3.73's in a truck with 40's, the **** would go 0-60 sower than it could run a 1/4 mile. I'm talking bone stock. Remember all the 4.6 mustang guys with their 4.10's eating transmissions and blowing motors? Yea they were fast as hell from a dig, but were killing every drivetrain component.

Who said mine was lifted at this time ??

We do gear changes all time from weak 331 to 410 never heard such
I raced mustangs small tire to big tire with some big block turbos and gear ration range
355 to 513 never had issues due to gearing

Now if I drove those at 125mph highway daily yes your theory would be true

But today's 6 speed Trans are not the 3 speeds back in 80s

Today we have 8 speed automatics and now 10 speed automatics
Gear change wouldn't change much on rpms

So are we talking newer f150 or 1972 ???

But today's 6 speed Trans are not the 3 speeds back in 80s

Today we have 8 speed automatics and now 10 speed automatics
Gear change wouldn't change much on rpms

So are we talking newer f150 or 1972 ???

Doesn't matter. 6 speeds are the new 4's. So yea, being geared too high will pretty much put me in the same shoes I'm in now.

I've got 3.55's in my 1969 Cutlass (in a Chevy 12-bolt), but they are too weak for a truck IMO. As already stated, with an OD transmission, 3.92's are very streetable. My stock Dakota R/T had 3.92's, and the revs were nothing at all in overdrive. Gas mileage sucked...but man that truck was QUICK.

Dude how many lifted jeeps are on the road ??

Never once have been issueso to your claim

I have lifted and gear changed and raced 1000s

Never once broke a rod or thru piston over gear change

Go to off road site and make this thread they will laugh at you

Call 4x4 off road in Marietta and they will laugh at you

I work with one largest dealera on southeast

And lift and gear change daily never once had come back and some has 250k miles on stock bearings and axles and drives haft and stock engines

I've got 3.55's in my 1969 Cutlass (in a Chevy 12-bolt), but they are too weak for a truck IMO. As already stated, with an OD transmission, 3.92's are very streetable. My stock Dakota R/T had 3.92's, and the revs were nothing at all in overdrive. Gas mileage sucked...but man that truck was QUICK.
And That Truck Wasn't 6SPEED Auto Either
5.9 Dakota was great love those

And That Truck Wasn't 6SPEED Auto Either
5.9 Dakota was great love those

Nope...4-speed IIRC with a decent OD. But it was a 1999...with the ****ty transmission linings that screwed up the servos and torque converter. My transmission was shot at 19K miles...and I never even went to the track with it. It was the first and probably the last Dodge I will own. Gave thought to buying a Charger in 2012, but couldn't get by the transmission troubles I had with the Dakota. It was fun...but a damned expensive truck that stayed in the shop more than in my garage. Dodge should have had to recall them...

But, back on topic. As I was told by my engine builder for my Cutlass - with the 3-speed non-OD transmission, he recommended 3.42 gears. I went 3.55 because I wanted it to be a little quicker that 3.42's would provide. But...he said if I went with a 2004R OD transmission, I could move up to 3.92 or 4.10 with no over-revving issues. Since I had a built TH350 ready to go in...I went with the lower gear ratio.

I'm soon to be back in a 3 speed standard. Max 120hp. Could the ratio be figured to give a top speed of 95 and better acceleration with the stock transmission gears?

Back
Top Bottom