• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

lever gun caliber suppressed?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
so I have a hankering for a nice lever gun with a can. Herein lies the debate....

38/357 lever gun?
44mag/special lever gun?

or just go all in and swing for the fence with a 45/70?

I reload and have plenty of components for the 38/357/44 options. Currently have some of each (non threaded and older) but the newer Ruger/Marlin 1895 SBL or the new Taylors 1892 Takedown 38 or 44 threaded is where I'm leaning..

sound differences between the 38 and 44 shooting suppressed? I've got a Dead Air Ghost currently and have a few months more on a Nomad, and will probably get a Primal soon if I go 45/70. I don't currently reload 45/70 but that's an option, anyone shot one subsonic with a can and have opinion relative to the others.

775761-Taylors_Company_1892_Alaskan_Chrome_Takedown_357_Mag_Lever_Action_Rifle_Blk-920_401.jpg

This will be interesting reading.
I had the opportunity to shoot a 38 special through a suppressed bolt action rifle and it was giggle funny. I'm sure lever action will be the same.
I'm sure the main questions are going to be. What is the purpose of the lever gun?
Hunting self-defense both plinking??

Don't rule out .45 Colt while you're at it, since you reload. Plenty of Rossi M92 out there. Barrel is pretty thin out there, so threading might be limited to .578-28

...and .45-70, what are you some kind of mad-man? :becky:

Mounted_zpsgrmzvtzx.jpg

A 44 mag can be shot out of most 45 pistol cans. Just need a fixed barrel spacer and correct piston or threaded endcap. Pistol cans are lighter as well, which on a light lever gun, keeps more of the handling characteristics. I love my octane 45 on my 77/44. Only downside is full house loads will eject gas and unburnt powder out the back around the relief cuts in the piston. Been contemplating a threaded endcap to alleviate this.

Only real benefit to the 4570 would be if you cast to get some stupid heavy bullet weights if you want to hunt with it. I use 300gr noslers in my 44 mag right around 1050 fps. Fun gun to shoot.

158gr 38spl out of a lever action is pretty quiet. I have the Rossi. It’s top eject, so scout scope or red dot. But works just fine with irons. Have several suppressors that will work on it but keep my old aac evo on it, with it being lever action and no noise escaping I find that the type of suppressor doesn’t really matter as much, sounds about the same when I’ve shot it with my sico, rugged, aac tirant etc. at the ear tirant 45 is probably best due to volume. But I’m definitely no expert, except BS, I’m definitely an expert on that!

I did this with a 45 Colt Henry X series. No problem at all when using 'cowboy' loads, although surprisingly I still got some gas back in the face. Not sure how that's possible but it definitely was the case.

I also have one of these in 44 Magnum, but after looking it up 44 Mag is too hot a round to shoot through my Gen 1 Octane 45. In fact they only list 357 magnum as an option even for the Gen 2. I would definitely verify that your suppressor can handle 44 magnum (and that the mfg will warranty it) before trying.

BTW, this is probably true for 45-70 as well. I'd bet 'cowboy' loads wouldn't be a problem through a quality 45 pistol can, but it's probably not rated for it and it may void any warranty or support.

I ended up ordering a Griffin Bushwacker 46 to handle the 44 magnum and later on, 45-70 (once gun prices get back down to reasonable levels). I can't speak to it though, since it's still in ATF limbo until next October at a guess.

I'd expect the same to be true for 9mm cans and 357 magnum, but can't say for sure. The only one I could find on Silencer Shop that specifically called out 357 was the Octane 45, so you would probably have to call the manufacturer to find out.

45/70 is ungodly suppressed imo. I have a buddy with a chopped up 45/70 and it’s movie quiet. I took his cam out for him to play with last weekend, and I had to take my hearing pro off to believe how quiet it was lol. It’s on my next list to buy now.

I did this with a 45 Colt Henry X series. No problem at all when using 'cowboy' loads, although surprisingly I still got some gas back in the face. Not sure how that's possible but it definitely was the case.

I also have one of these in 44 Magnum, but after looking it up 44 Mag is too hot a round to shoot through my Gen 1 Octane 45. In fact they only list 357 magnum as an option even for the Gen 2. I would definitely verify that your suppressor can handle 44 magnum (and that the mfg will warranty it) before trying.

BTW, this is probably true for 45-70 as well. I'd bet 'cowboy' loads wouldn't be a problem through a quality 45 pistol can, but it's probably not rated for it and it may void any warranty or support.

I ended up ordering a Griffin Bushwacker 46 to handle the 44 magnum and later on, 45-70 (once gun prices get back down to reasonable levels). I can't speak to it though, since it's still in ATF limbo until next October at a guess.

I'd expect the same to be true for 9mm cans and 357 magnum, but can't say for sure. The only one I could find on Silencer Shop that specifically called out 357 was the Octane 45, so you would probably have to call the manufacturer to find out.
I have a gen 1 octane. Sico said full house 44 mag out of a 16" bbl was good to go. I can forward you the email if you like

Back
Top Bottom