Lever Gun cleaning and disassembly---AND POSSIBLE SCARY OUTCOME

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBGuns

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
30   0
Reaction score
okay noobie questions, i recently purchased a Rossi M92 .38/.357 and cleaning her up of all the factory grease that was put on it. i have never owned a lever gun before. i'm trying to see how much everyone takes apart their lever gun to clean them. so far i tried taking the stock off and being new it wouldn't budge and now i'm down to what i can reach with cotton swabs and rags. any input would be helpful thanks.
-------
and another kind of scary question would .38 special FMJs be safe to use in a lever gun. i loaded the tube up with .38 special FMJs to see that the gun would feed correctly and noticed primer indentations from the round when loading.... i did some looking on other forms and saw that during recoil the gun could EXPLODE and others saying it was safe cause .38 special doesnt have much recoil... has anyone else used FMJs and didnt explode or am i better off finding Flat nose ammo

Last edited:
and another kind of scary question would .38 special FMJs be safe to use in a lever gun. i loaded the tube up with .38 special FMJs to see that the gun would feed correctly and noticed primer indentations from the round when loading.... i did some looking on other forms and saw that during recoil the gun could EXPLODE and others saying it was safe cause .38 special doesnt have much recoil... has anyone else used FMJs and didnt explode or am i better off finding Flat nose ammo

shouldnt have any issue here Steve.

okay noobie questions, i recently purchased a Rossi M92 .38/.357 and cleaning her up of all the factory grease that was put on it. i have never owned a lever gun before. i'm trying to see how much everyone takes apart their lever gun to clean them. so far i tried taking the stock off and being new it wouldn't budge and now i'm down to what i can reach with cotton swabs and rags. any input would be helpful thanks.

Figured you would ask for help with this one sooner or later. Good luck and may the force be with you. Most folks I know dont take em down that much, just shoot it and clean it. Its a lever gun after all. lol.. :D

i'm trying to see how much everyone takes apart their lever gun to clean them.
I do not know Rossi's but have been shooting Marlins for over 30 years. I've never taken one beyond removing the lever and the bolt during cleaning. (this allows the cleaning of the barrel from the breech end.)
and another kind of scary question would .38 special FMJs be safe to use in a lever gun.

I would not worry about FMJ per se, rather the tip. I have never used FMJ revolver cartridges. I have often used RNFP plated in my .38 lever. On factory ammo the primer should not be protruding but I suppose to be safe I would suggest you use RNFP plated or JSPs and not FMJ not ball ammo.

Ever do any hog hunting? A 180 grain 357 (JSP) from that piece would be just the trick.

Last edited:
I do not know Rossi's but have been shooting Marlins for over 30 years. I've never taken one beyond removing the lever and the bolt during cleaning. (this allows the cleaning of the barrel from the breech end.)

I would not worry about FMJ per se, rather the tip. I have never used FMJ revolver cartridges. I have often used RNFP plated in my .38 lever. On factory ammo the primer should not be protruding but I suppose to be safe I would suggest you use RNFP plated or JSPs and not FMJ not ball ammo.

Ever do any hog hunting? A 180 grain 357 (JSP) from that piece would be just the trick.
okay thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom