• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lever rifles

I can't wait. Probably leaning towards a 44 mag/spl, as I carry a Bulldog a lot in the summer. Nice to consolidate calibers when possible. As I don't yet hunt (reading the news, we ALL might be hunting for our food in a year or so), I like decent iron sights. One thing that the lever-haters fail to explain: How is it that a .44 mag is king out of a S&W revolver, but somehow sucks out of a 20" or 22' barrel? Sounds like it would be crazy-accurate. Haters gonna hate, I guess...

A few things I've noted: 1) The 357 rifle doesn't shoot 125 JHP accurately. The bore is too large for the bullet. The 125 FP will shoot fine. The 158 JHP will shoot fine. 2) If you want a scope mount, you probably want a Marlin because you can mount it on top of the receiver. This would be the most accurate and sturdy. 3) The 357 is rather limited on large game. The 44 or 45 will do an excellent job. I've taken deer at 100yds with the 44, 130yds with the 45 and 225yds with the 35 Remington.

My Henry lever action 22 is probably the most fun gun that I own. I love the CCI quiet 22 ammo. Sounds just like a pellet gun in my yard.

Just curious. I have little experience with lever guns, and was thinking of picking one up, likely in a pistol caliber (.44 mag/.44 spec/.45 LC). I read a slightly older thread somewhere here a few days ago where someone took a huge dump on lever guns for accuracy, range and quality. I can't seem to find it again. One thing that I have learned is that they are not cheap, and are hard to find in most calibers other than .22LR or .22Mag. I do not hunt, but love to shoot quality guns. I know they've been around for what - 150 or so years? Doin' something right. Question, though. Side load or tube load? Advantages or Dis or either? The Henrys seem to weigh about twice as much as a Rossi, with a harder to find Winchester even more. Where is a good place to start?
I started that silly thread about lever gun accuracy. I have since come to the conclusion that I was wrong.

I'd start off with a 22... Regular 22LR since it can also handle Shorts as well. If you have a 22 can get one with a threaded barrel.

I can't recommend the Henry 22 guns enough, but I've never had a problem with other makers. It's just the actions on the Henrys are easily the smoothest.

I would stay away from pistol-caliber guns right now.

There's a bunch of old ones out there that are good, but expensive. There's Henrys, which are excellent, but expensive. There's a bunch of Remlins out there that are really bad, but still expensive. And there are some lower-tier ones out there (Rossi for example) that are decent, but still expensive. Notice the theme.

For plinking you simply can't beat the 22LR guns, and they will be the most cost-effective way to try out lever guns.

I’ve got two Henry’s and love them. .357 and .22 both are very smooth. Also expensive.

Attachments

• 1FB0E400-B535-488F-A225-E1B2615E9919.jpeg
    1FB0E400-B535-488F-A225-E1B2615E9919.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom