• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Light primer strike on CZ sp 01?

You got a tuned trigger that has a lighter hammer spring to provide a lighter trigger pull.

You happened to pick up two brands of ammo that have some of the hardest primers out there. Try some different ammo if you want to keep the trigger pull, or you may have to go to a heavier hammer spring.

Thanks for the info! What brands would you recommend for practice? Is there anyway to know for certain what spring is currently in it? I see stock is 18lbs and the CZ website has 13lb,15lb, and 16lb options.

just a thought, you said it was always on the second round in the magazine. Presumably you have a fully loaded magazine, chamber a round, bang, second trigger pull, nothing, okay from there out.

Try loading 1 less round and see if that solves the issue. Tula Primers are hard, but the failure consistency suggests other contributing factors such as the slide possibly not returning completely home.

Again, just a thought.

Great thought, I went back and paid attention to loading. I can get an extra round in both the 16 and 18rd mags. Maybe it's my superman thumbs? I'll do more testing with correctly loaded mags.

just a thought, you said it was always on the second round in the magazine. Presumably you have a fully loaded magazine, chamber a round, bang, second trigger pull, nothing, okay from there out.

Try loading 1 less round and see if that solves the issue. Tula Primers are hard, but the failure consistency suggests other contributing factors such as the slide possibly not returning completely home.

Again, just a thought.

My initial thought was it was probably caused by the lighter-weight Hammer Spring, but if it was me, I think I might investigate the Magazine thing, too--Please keep us UPDATED--mikey357

If the hammer spring is really light and the extended firing pin is not used, that could be the problem. CGW tells you that if you are using competition springs, use of the stock FP will cause light strikes. Conversely, don't use the extended FP with stock springs. Very bad juju there.

Mismatched springs / firing pin as mentioned most likely.
I bought a nice CZ off the ODT same issue carried to Brian Ott replaced all springs never an issue again.
Home Gunsmithing sometimes isn't the best idea.

Thanks for the info! What brands would you recommend for practice? Is there anyway to know for certain what spring is currently in it? I see stock is 18lbs and the CZ website has 13lb,15lb, and 16lb options.

Try federal they make an inexpensive 9mm round and Wally World carries that Federal Aluminum case stuff that is good to go for FMJ range ammo. It runs less than $10/50 rounds.

The Russian stuff is well known for having a bit tougher primer and a lightened hammer spring will give you issues such as you describe. That's why I typically leave the springs stock for carry guns with rare exceptions.

Edit:

It's not the recoil spring IMO, but rather the hammer spring. If it has been reduced it will lighten the DA pull nicely but the trade off is reduced power to ignite the primer.

Last edited:
How would how the rounds are seated in a magazine affect primer strikes?

Just "Spit-Ballin'" here, but if the Mag was "Slap Full Up", maybe the upward pressure from a new, not-broken-in Mag Spring could slow down the forward travel of the Slide enough that it was just SLIGHTLY short of full lock-up??? IF that happened, you could conceivably get an Excess Headspace-like condition that might result in insufficient Firing Pin indentation on the Primer--Like I said, just "Spit-Ballin'" here....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom