• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lilgreg donations and auctions - Serious word of caution about Paypal

Dawgbrain

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I am afraid I am too late with this post but I suggest that we shift our payment method away from Paypal. My family is following baby K's progress and all of the good work being done here on the ODT. For some reason this had not occurred to me until my wife just asked "PAYPAL, really?".

I don't think this has been brought up but as most of you already know Paypal is seriously anti-gun. They are also notoriously bad about scrutinizing new accounts. At a minimum they are going to make Greg link his Paypal account to a bank account before they will give him access to his money. They start this level of scrutiny at $500. If an account builds what they deem as too fast they will freeze it and turn it over to their fraud prevention for a review. This can take them hours to months, and requires a lot of time to straighten out.

If they make the connection that the funds are result of something gun related they will suspend the account and freeze the assets for a minimum of 180 days. There is no appeal process. I personally had this happen to a 14 year old account with zero infractions. They denied me access to thousands of dollars for 6 months.

If at all possible I suggest that any donations or payment be made by ANY means other than Paypal.

I've been screwed by Paypal, but it had nothing to do with guns. Just them being incompetent dicks who basically told me to kick rocks when someone stole $4,000 from my bank account via my Paypal account. Luckily, my bank helped me get it taken care of, but I didn't deal with them again for years after that. Terrible, terrible customer service. What the OP said wouldn't surprise me one bit.

while I understand the anti gun point, the $500 limit can be lifted with a few very simple steps. It is way too late to try to scare off donors. and They may review their account but no company would want the PR storm that would come down if that happened to Greg. Thats just my opinion.

I'd let him know to start the transfer process to his account immediately and maybe post in the machine gun auction to make fund transfers in a different way.

I will make other arrangements with the winner of the MG day. I don't think PayPal would have been the way to do it anyway. 3500 might set off a flag. Bypass just downed 1500 in one shot though.

Back
Top Bottom