• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Long Range Rimfire scope

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
OKay I've been looking for what I want and it seems hard to find within a reasonable price.

I am looking to put a decent quality scope on my Savage FV-SR for shooting out to 400 yards, I would like "tactical" turrets that I can adjust with my hand and reset to zero, I would like mildots, and high magnification ideally 16x but slightly less or more is alright.

I don't need illuminated reticles or other gizmos, just mildots, hign magnification, tool-less turrets, and something that won't break.

My budget is open on this one if need be, but ideally the upper range is $250.

Get a decent centerfire scope with an adjustable objective.

I don't know what type reticle you prefer, but one I like that happens to be in your price range is on sale @ Camera Land.

It's the Vortex 6.5X20X44 with a 30mm tube. The wide plex reticle ain't fancy but it's quite usable. I'm on the bubble about ordering another one right now for a .308 Win.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

I don't know what type reticle you prefer, but one I like that happens to be in your price range is on sale @ Camera Land.

It's the Vortex 6.5X20X44 with a 30mm tube. The wide plex reticle ain't fancy but it's quite usable. I'm on the bubble about ordering another one right now for a .308 Win.

While the scope fits almost every criteria, I really use mildots quite often. Why is there such a price difference in a mildot scope($280 compared to $430). I appreciate the find though, I'll keep this one on the short list.

With his vortex how far down range have you targeted? I just recently purchased an sps tactical in 308 and plan to buy a scope and bipod soon. Not really savvy on reticles but want something will work without looking like a dooficus.

It's a fine scope. I have the same scope with a target dot reticle on a .22LR.

The wide plex isn't a super fine reticle that I prefer, but it's thin enough for precision work at the distances I have access to now.

I don't think the scope will limit most shooters. I wouldn't be hesitant on buying another if I hadn't gotten curious about a Minox for a lot more money.

Well, it doesn't have mil-dots but...

I really like my Redfield Revenge 6-18x44 scope with the Accu-Ranger Varmint Reticle. There are turret caps but once you remove them, the windage/elevation is finger-adjustable.

Shot it on a Ruger American Rifle in .308 and my Romanian PSL. It has a range-finding feature, but the bullet-drop compensator wouldn't work for your application.

It's just within/maybe a little over your budget but has a lifetime warranty like Leupold. Leupold bought the rights to the Redfield name. I would have bought one of the Redfield Revolution scopes, but they didn't make one in the high magnification that I wanted. Revolution is made at Leupold factory; the Revenge in the Phillipines.

Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom