• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for an ITP shop to re-spray a bumper

hozjo

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
After I came back from a winter in the rockies last year I noticed the paint on my (plastic) bumper has started to peel and chip off while the paint on the actual metal panels of my car is still fine. It's been getting worse and worse and what was a two inch blemishcis now an 8" one. About six months ago someone also backed into my car not damaging anything but making another paint chip that has been growing.

I'm hoping to find an ITP or close to TP body shop to sand/strip and respray the bumper. I don't care about a perfect match, or a long lasting job. Full disclosure i'm driving this car till the clutch burns out or the next major repair then buying something else, but until that happens I'd rather not have it look like ****. I have no idea what something like this even costs these days.

The challenge is finding a shop willing to do smaller jobs. Most paint shops are only interested in insurance work. A site member operates a shop in Conyers that does this type of work:

Sprayglo Auto Refinishing
1612 GA-138, Conyers, GA 30012

It not as close as you'd like but he will do the work and does quality work.

You will find that it is harder to get paint to stick on the plastic parts for any length of time. As compared to metal surfaces, paint on plastics does not last anywhere near as long. Even when it is done correctly it doesn’t last as long .

If you are going to sell it relatively soon, go with an economy shop over quality/expense. Plenty of Maaco , Peach, places like that. Most decent shops will do paint jobs to match pretty much how much you will spend anyway.

I have toyed with the idea of approaching a local body shop with my detached motorcycle gas tank
and a couple of fiberglass side panels and just asking them to paint them some shade of red the next time they need to paint a car red. They could just set my 3 parts on the floor or on a folding table next to the car and give my parts a few passes with the paint gun, and later the clear-coat sealer treatment after the paint has dried.

I'd do my own dent-filling, sanding, and buffing as prep work.

Right now my motorcycle's all black and chrome, and I don't like the color black, generally. Not on vehicles, not for clothing, not for decorating your house, etc. But I'll leave the bike's frame alone with its still-good-condition black factory paint job. The other parts that can easily be detached, will be enough to just color them. And "red" would improve the bike's visibility to other motorists.

After I came back from a winter in the rockies last year I noticed the paint on my (plastic) bumper has started to peel and chip off while the paint on the actual metal panels of my car is still fine. It's been getting worse and worse and what was a two inch blemishcis now an 8" one. About six months ago someone also backed into my car not damaging anything but making another paint chip that has been growing.

I'm hoping to find an ITP or close to TP body shop to sand/strip and respray the bumper. I don't care about a perfect match, or a long lasting job. Full disclosure i'm driving this car till the clutch burns out or the next major repair then buying something else, but until that happens I'd rather not have it look like ****. I have no idea what something like this even costs these days.

Just buy a pre-painted one on ebay. Get the factory paint code. They’ll paint it and shrink wrap it for shipping. I have done this a couple times. Zero complaints.
Just pop the old one off, switch over any badges or lights and pop the new one in. I have both replaced and reused the old hardware for different vehicles. About a 2 hour job

I'd be happy to spray it down for you buddy I'll supply paint but if ur prep work isn't good it will show but u already know this ... So I'd do it for a 100 an let it dry you may be able to take same day may could powder coat it when I got a few connections 4044535664

Back
Top Bottom