• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for AR pistol advice (assembly in progress)

Proximal

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
So, I'm super new to the AR game and could use some guidance. I picked up a C3 stripped lower from The Trading Place out in Monroe the other night and I'm hoping to get this pistol project started. I'm confident that I can get the lower assembled, but I need guidance when ordering parts.

So far I've only ordered the LPK (Spikes) because they were in stock and not a ridiculous price. I suppose next would be the buffer tube assembly. This is where I'm getting hung up. I'm planning an SBR and, from what I've read, 12.5" is an ideal length for an all purpose system.

What length tube and spring should I be looking for considering the length of the barrel?

Any guidance would be appreciated. I admit my total ignorance so if I'm completely off base, feel free to enlighten me.

So, are you building a SBR or a pistol?

Buffer tubes are different for the two.

If you are building a pistol, you definitely don't want to get caught with a rifle style buffer tube on it. That is constructive intent without the proper ATF paperwork.

I would go ahead and send off the paper work to SBR it and build it that way first. If you are impatient like me then you will have to go with a pistol buffer tube until you receive your paperwork.

I would go ahead and send off the paper work to SBR it and build it that way first. If you are impatient like me then you will have to go with a pistol buffer tube until you receive your paperwork.

That is what I needed to know. I'm very impatient so I would probably just get the pistol tube to start. If that is really all that needs to be changed to make it a SBR then it isn't a big deal.

As far as buffer tubes for pistols goes, I've only found one in stock and it doesn't come with a spring. Will a carbine spring work or should I only be looking for a pistol spring?

ATF says any buffer tube is ok. Just don't put the stock on it.

Edited to add...do your own research till you're comfortable, of course. I did mine and that's what I'm doing with my pistol to SBR project.

Last edited:
ATF says any buffer tube is ok. Just don't put the stock on it.

I thought that may be the case but I certainly don't want to push my luck. I don't own a stock or any other AR hardware so I don't think I could get hit with intent anyway.

That being said, if I went with the 12.75" barrel, would I need a rifle/carbine tube?

It doesn't matter what buffer tube you use. If you ONLY have the pistol and no other AR.. just dont have a stock anywhere in your possession... If you do have another AR that is of legal length and uses a stock.. you can have as many "spare" stocks for that AR as you want.

It's all about "what it looks like" to the ATF.. not really what it is.

As said above, a buffer tube on a pistol is fine, as long as you dont attempt to fix a stock on it. The law states that it cant "readily accept a shoulder stock" so wrapping the tube in tape or parachord or dipping it in rubber are all acceptable solutions. or, just use it as-is. Lots of people do.

As far as barrel length and tubes go, as long as you stay with a specific configuration you are good. Rifle tube with rifle buffer, carbine tube with carbine buffer, etc. Depending on the gas port size and dwell you may need to adjust the weight of the buffer later, but usually a standard or H1 buffer will be OK.

As said above, a buffer tube on a pistol is fine, as long as you dont attempt to fix a stock on it. The law states that it cant "readily accept a shoulder stock" so wrapping the tube in tape or parachord or dipping it in rubber are all acceptable solutions. or, just use it as-is. Lots of people do.

As far as barrel length and tubes go, as long as you stay with a specific configuration you are good. Rifle tube with rifle buffer, carbine tube with carbine buffer, etc. Depending on the gas port size and dwell you may need to adjust the weight of the buffer later, but usually a standard or H1 buffer will be OK.

That's what I'm planning...paracord that badboy. I had a WASR several years ago with a Romanian wire side folding stock on it and paracorded it..made it much more pleasant to fire in cold weather, lol.

Back
Top Bottom