• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

looking for camper advice

Assuming you will enjoy it, make sure the math works for you. I don't have one yet, but I've been doing a lot of homework. You've got to consider the real weight and payload capabilities of your vehicle, and completely ignore the camper manufacturer's advertised numbers. Just look at the camper's gross vehicle weight rating and assume that's where you'll be, with 13% of that on the trailer ball.

It seems the manufacturers under-rate the camper's true weight when in use, and the truck manufacturers over-rate the trucks' capabilities.

My 2016 F150 can "pull" maybe 10,000 - 13,000 lbs, but is only rated to tow up to about 6,500 lbs because of payload limitations of the truck.

One of my brothers loves pop-up campers. He has a construction business at a beach, so it's seasonal. He'll buy one used, and sell it when times get tough, but his Jeep will never be overloaded with a pop-up. He and his family do a lot of camping that way.

Assuming you will enjoy it, make sure the math works for you. I don't have one yet, but I've been doing a lot of homework. You've got to consider the real weight and payload capabilities of your vehicle, and completely ignore the camper manufacturer's advertised numbers. Just look at the camper's gross vehicle weight rating and assume that's where you'll be, with 13% of that on the trailer ball.

It seems the manufacturers under-rate the camper's true weight when in use, and the truck manufacturers over-rate the trucks' capabilities.

My 2016 F150 can "pull" maybe 10,000 - 13,000 lbs, but is only rated to tow up to about 6,500 lbs because of payload limitations of the truck.

One of my brothers loves pop-up campers. He has a construction business at a beach, so it's seasonal. He'll buy one used, and sell it when times get tough, but his Jeep will never be overloaded with a pop-up. He and his family do a lot of camping that way.
I agree mostly but my uncle has a 2016 f150 and a 42 ft fifth wheel that when fully loaded weighs 8300 lbs (scale verified). He does have load leveling bags, he has pulled that thing with that truck all over the USA and never had an issue.

If you take your time and apply yourself to go look at a good many of pre-owned ones a great deal will present itself. Find one and older couple used and took really good care of. Price you pay depends on how patient you are in looking and how many you look at. A good deal will present itself fairly quickly. Right now would be a good time to look. With people out of jobs and whatnot the luxuries have to go. Find one with a least 20,000 mile on it that way you now it's had time to get the kinks ironed out. I have proved this over and over with used cars. You have to invest time and be thorough when asking about one you are thinking of looking at.

I have always wanted one to go around the mid west and bird hunt, predator hunt and hog hunt with. Stay vigilant in your search and eventually you will find exactly what you are looking for.
Good luck in your search and enjoy the shopping process.

I wouldn't buy a 5th wheel if unless you plan to pull it long distance. They're a pita in every single way. I miss my travel trailer and regret getting my 5th wheel. Also bigger isn't always better! I have a 36' (on paper but measures out closer to 38') and you have to cherry pick sites. If you plan on going to state parks it gets very to be a pain. I'd recommend a 32' tag if it was me. If I can find one I like I'll be trading mine in. I'm tired of putting the hitch in and out of my bed. I have a SWB truck so I have a B&W slider hitch and the joker weights over 300 lbs. Luckily I leave it at work so me and another guy will lift it onto a pallet and use a fork lift to store it out of the way.

Renting does sound like a good idea. I'd probably still have mine, but the wife wouldn't go anymore. If your a little mechanically incline, you'll be fine. You'll turn into a 10min tech, as you'll fix most problems in 10min or less. You do have to tinker with them a good bit. There certainly is a quality of life in your home away from home. I loved it. Used it quite an bit the first few years. It's also nice to have it at the house when you want to work on it. You don't have to travel to get to it.

I wouldn't buy a 5th wheel if unless you plan to pull it long distance. They're a pita in every single way. I miss my travel trailer and regret getting my 5th wheel. Also bigger isn't always better! I have a 36' (on paper but measures out closer to 38') and you have to cherry pick sites. If you plan on going to state parks it gets very to be a pain. I'd recommend a 32' tag if it was me. If I can find one I like I'll be trading mine in. I'm tired of putting the hitch in and out of my bed. I have a SWB truck so I have a B&W slider hitch and the joker weights over 300 lbs. Luckily I leave it at work so me and another guy will lift it onto a pallet and use a fork lift to store it out of the way.
Weird im the opposite 45' triple axle toy hauler for me and its so easy to take anywhere. I think 5wheels are the best to pull with if you got enough truck

Back
Top Bottom