• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

looking for camper advice

K0DIAK

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
49   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering buying a camper. of course like everyone that buys one, we expect to use it a fairly good bit. a couple weekends per month. but who knows if that will actually happen.

im torn between finding a very clean lightly used late 2000's model for cheap, or spending the extra money and getting one a couple years old (the depreciation worries me)

also, are they worth it? what are the pros and cons from those of you who own them and use them for more than just sitting at hunting camp?

thanks in advance for the input!

Get an old(er) Airstream, they will never go out of style and have appreciated. The pre-1975 can be polished and look sharp.

I take my airstream to the lake, and regattas in FL during the winter.

Advice? Read all the forums on towing, campers, camping, etc.

Are they worth it? Only if you actually use them for something other than yard art.

I'm on my second camper. First one was bought new in 2014. Current one was bought new this year. Many family trips in many different states.

Worth it?
If you use it, hell yeah. We did the math and the cost of ownership for an RV is more than what it would cost to just do hotel rooms. That would change if we used it more. Regardless, the convenience of having your own setup and plenty of storage makes up the difference. We can be setup on a campsite in 30min. It almost takes that long to check-in a hotel and lug your crap to a funny smelling room with questionable bedspreads.

Depreciation
Not as bad as you think probably. We figured that into our cost of ownership. Instead of throwing money at hotel rooms and eating out, you're losing some in depreciation. Still, used RVs still sell for more than you'd think if they're well taken care of.

New vs Old
We bought both RVs new. The main reason is that they have been improving a lot over the years. If you want the new features, you have to buy pretty new. The second reason is that RV parts are expensive. If a fridge dies, it's $1500 for a new one. Roof repairs are expensive. No regrets on buying new.

One thing to note about new RVs is that there are often warranty issues. Use it a lot in the first year to get use of the warranty. Mine new one is in the shop right now, lol. After the kinks are worked out, they do just fine though. One that is two years old but barely used would scare me a little tbh. I do not think an extended warranty is worthwhile if you use it plenty the first year.

There is a lot of setup for new RVs too, from installing TVs to toilet paper holders. There is also a ton of crap to buy. Sewer hose, water hose, wheel blocks, etc, etc. A used RV that comes with all that crap could be a great value.

I just upgraded to a bigger camper, my first was 19 feet from tongue to bumper and my new one is 33 ft. I bought my first one in 2018 it was a 2017 model that had been camped in twice, the owners of that one decided camping was not for them, my new one is a 2021 that the original owners bought in 2020 camped in a handful of times during the height of the rona lockdown and then decided they didn't want it anymore, my point is some awesome deals can be had right now on gently used campers, by a consignment unit if you can find one. Avoid any model more than three to four years old or older, my experience has been that they will be in need of costly repairs and if you dont have cash banks are reluctant to loan on them.

Avoid any model more than three to four years old or older, my experience has been that they will be in need of costly repairs and if you don't have cash banks are reluctant to loan on them.

Agreed. The RV we just sold was 7yrs old. There were a bunch of things on the verge of crapping out.

Rent, rent, RENT! Then if you really do use it often, you'll have an infinitely better idea of what you really want in the setup and that you'll actually use it.

This!

Had 2 buddies that bought either new or 2 yr old, camped a total of 3 times. One guy went once, other went twice. Took a bath on them money wise.

Rent one for a weekend, then try another style another weekend. Figure out if you like it, and the style camper you get.

Back
Top Bottom