Looking for motorcycle advice

My buddy took his BMW K1200 across the US and then up to the Artic Circle. The following year he rode it all the way down to the tip of S. America. Crazy to do something like that solo, but a lifetime of memories and stories.

That sounds like an amazing adventure. Sh*t I want to do it now. I would feel naked without my side arm though.

My two cents, don't get the bike you really want right off. If you haven't got any experience on street bikes, find a cheap, used bike around 500-650cc's and learn to ride on it. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course; as a plus, when you pass it, it counts as your road and written test for a class M license in Georgia! Then, when you're comfortable with your skills, sell the beater and get the bike you really want. It'll also give you time to test ride other bikes and see what you like.

Just be careful! Most folk's first bike wreck happens shortly after they've been riding enough to get confident... they get over confident and push it. Happened to me when I was 20. Also keep in mind that experience with dirt bikes doesn't really translate that well to street bikes.

I agree 100%. I think the statistic is that most new riders wreck within the first six months of riding. So buy that older used bike first. Be safe.

Later on I might suggest one of these:
tomedison.smugmug.com_Other_Fir_Island_Marsh_Point_2_15_13_i_9tLV4kk_0_L_DSC_0032_20copy_L.jpg

Kawasaki Versys.

Glenn

You have you your learners permit before you can take the MSF. So you still have to take the written test at the DMV but the course is a great starter program. I graduated tied for #1 in my class and I was told that I am now able to practice in a parking lot. Your training, learning to ride better doesn't end with getting your certificate.

'03-'07 BMW F650GS or the new G650GS. But I'm kinda partial. :) Its the bike of choice for around the world riders. Big enough to haul ass on a highway, small enough for offroad adventures. You can do all the work on them yourself, and the legendary motor is stone cold reliable. Scrape the pegs in the turns, then pull off on a fire road and hop boulders. Second would be a KLR650.

Here is ol' yeller and a white F800 on a mountain top.

i154.photobucket.com_albums_s253_chriscole130_IMAG0993.jpg

Back
Top Bottom