• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for people with knowledge or experience with a Ford F150 5.4

I had an 05 and ran it up to 235K then sold it to a friend a few years back. He's still driving it. I changed the throttle body twice and the spark plugs twice and the coil packs once. At one point, mine would completely shut off when turning left. And don't get me started on that POS 4WD vacuum system.

Run the engine to get it warm. Not hot, just real warm. If you remove the air box and the computer on the passenger side it much easier to get to plug #4. If you start hearing the threads squeak while screwing a plug out STOP. screw it back in a little and continue,WD40 helps too if you shoot some down at the threads when you get them started backing out. As mentioned, Put antisieze on the threads of your new plugs. Nickel based is much better and safer for your engine. Copper based will burn off and are prone to take out your 02 sensors
The extended shank on these plugs are bad to have carbon built up onthem. Running a good fuel system cleaner for a few days before you change them out will get rid of most of the carbon. The carbon is what makes the plugs break. The original plugs are crimped together at the igniter instead of welded. Good ole Ford engineers.

Be advised a coil pack as well as a bad plug will cause the same problem. So will a catalytic converters in the early stages of clogging up.

I saw a video about the roller followers on the cam seizing and destroying the engine.

Beware of any valvetrain ticking especially on the passenger side.

Had a similar issue on a 02, would stall when accelerating under load or from cruise around 55. Ended up being a coil pack, which was fouled due to a water leak from a cracked cross over piece on the intake manifold (they are plastic). If your plugs or coil packs are fouled check for water and where it is coming from.

A throttle body could possibly cause this but more often the throttle body gets blackened due to gum and carbon build up. When the engine is idling the butterfly in the throttle body closes except for a very small open gap. The build up will make that gap even smaller and it will give you a rough idle. To eliminate that possibility it’s a simple, cheap fix to clean it. Take the throttle body off, using throttle body cleaner and a medium toothbrush spray the inside and scrub the buildup with the brush. When the black gunk clears off and it suddenly looks like a new penny your done,,,,,,,, with the inside. Put it back on and snug it down good. There is an o-ring instead of a gasket on most so don’t overtighten it.

Ford mechanic told me he was using an impact to take out the plugs now. 3/8 inch lite blows slow removal but no breaks in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom