• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for popcorn ceiling testing & removal

Go to smooth ceilings, and next thing, your bride will want crown molding. Hey, it is just money, and time, and dust, and dust, and dust.. Did I mention the dust you will create?
Crown moulding eliminates the need to finish the corners where the ceiling meets the wall, and I started drywalling over it after a few messes removing it, the finished product is better in my opinion

Crown moulding eliminates the need to finish the corners where the ceiling meets the wall, and I started drywalling over it after a few messes removing it, the finished product is better in my opinion

Popcorn and stippled ceilings are cheap, and cover a multitude of sins. Budget finish.

Smooth, finished Sheetrock or plaster looks way better, but one costs more, the other costs a fortune these days.

Redoing the cheap product is always expensive, and is messy and time consuming. Plus, working over your head really sux. All in all, a total overlay will give the best results.

And crown molding is easier than finished corners? Not in my part of Ga. I would rather finish 1,000 ft of drywall ceiling corners than put crown up on one room.

Get a spray bottle and use a mixture of white vinegar and water or even just water. Spray a small area and let it soak for a bit. Then using a wide blade putty knife, scrape it off, catching the debris in a 5-gal bucket or waste basket. It's pretty messy, but it's relatively easy to do, albeit a bit tedious. I did a room about 18 months ago that was 10'x14' in about an hour. Patching, skimming, and sanding takes much longer than the removal of the popcorn. But none of it is difficult. There are plenty of videos on YouTube you can reference, too.

Get a spray bottle and use a mixture of white vinegar and water or even just water. Spray a small area and let it soak for a bit. Then using a wide blade putty knife, scrape it off, catching the debris in a 5-gal bucket or waste basket. It's pretty messy, but it's relatively easy to do, albeit a bit tedious. I did a room about 18 months ago that was 10'x14' in about an hour. Patching, skimming, and sanding takes much longer than the removal of the popcorn. But none of it is difficult. There are plenty of videos on YouTube you can reference, too.

I did it same way. Still a mess.

That's what we did in our kitchen. We had to cover everything plastic taped all the way to the ceiling. Made a god awful mess then the sanding made another dusty mess on top of that. Told my wife we were just painting over the rest of the house

I hate doing that in an empty house much less an occupied space. You can use hot mud and do it all in one day but I don’t think it’s as easily sanded as the standard joint compound

Back
Top Bottom