• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for tips on rebluing a shotgun using a Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue kit

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score

Attachments

• smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun (2).jpeg
    smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun (2).jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 18
  • smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun(3).jpeg
    smith and wesson model 3000 shotgun(3).jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 19
The kits work. Even with great prep work the finish is just not long lasting. It will lighten up relatively quickly.

Their are some videos on YouTube where people use heat and some cold blue to refinish guns.
Spend some time watching videos and get an idea of what your in for.

Reactions: A34
Make sure to sand the surface with 1000 grit paper and start with a clean surface. Wipe down the metal with acetone 100% solution.

Use a cotton ball or similar material to apply blue as uniform as possible. Let it set for a little bit and rinse with cool water. There will be a chalky coat of crap on the metal after the rinse. Use 00 steel wool to wipe down every bit of what you just blued.

Repeat that process until you get the desired color or saturation. You will know when it's enough. Making sure to wipe or polish between coats with the steel wool. Don't miss any areas. ( very important step ). After you get the effect you are looking for wipe barrel down with Hoppe's gun oil to preserve and protect.

It's just that easy. Make sure to apply bluing solution as uniform across the surface as possible and as sparingly as possible. Don't get overzealous and start throwing it to it real thick. Do the process several times over again which will make sure that you have no dark or streaks in the barrel.

You can always sand it back down if you make a mistake. What I have noticed is the older the gun the quicker and darker each coat will be. I think it's the metallurgy that makes the difference. I think there's more carbon content in the older metals that's my theory anyways. So if it's a real old gun go real light coats and then follow the steps given. It seems to me that the newer metals don't absorb the bluing as easily as the older Metals do and that could vary from gun to gun so don't use that as an absolute.

If you want to bring your stock back to life or your wood parts let me know and I'll tell you how to do that. It took me a while to learn how to do it but I've got it down pat. You can make an old gun look like a brand new 870 wingmaster back in the day of the real glossy wood. Or you can just sand it down take some of the dents out and then and then apply true oil to bring back the color. This is a stock of a old Marlin model 6087 I wanted to spice up the stock a little bit. I'm a sucker for high gloss wood and blue steel.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_235129062.jpg
    IMG_20221029_235129062.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 15
I reblue the barrel and the ammo tube back to life. I paid $25 for this gun in the antique store in Georgia. That was all I paid was $25 no tax no transfer none of that horse s***. The barrel was nothing but surface rust. It had not one speck of bluing left on it. It actually looked like it set out of a porch for most of its life and the stock was damn near bone white just from loss of color and neglect. I use the steps I described above and I've done a lot of guns but this is just a typical example of what to expect if you follow what I explained to the T. It's very easy it's not hard at all. Just make sure to sand the metal down to bare metal where you can see nothing but silver basically just a all raw metal look. Of course I posted a picture of the stock but the gun just looks like it cost twice as much as it really did. It's amazing what one of those little bottles of bluing and one of the bottles of Tru-oil can do for a gun.

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_133602284.jpg
    IMG_20221030_133602284.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221029_235129062.jpg
    IMG_20221029_235129062.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom