• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for value of this watch- Hamilton Railway Special 950B

BigJohnE

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
89   0
Reaction score
Hello Watch People,

I recently acquired this watch through an inheritance and while it is cool looking and seems to work, it holds no real sentimental value to me, so I'm thinking of selling it. But I know damned near nothing about old pocket watches.

I'm pretty good Googler; but the info that I'm finding is all over the place with values ranging from around $500 up to around $1800 for this model (what few I can find).

It's the 950B - 10K Gold Filled - 23 Jewel watch.

My camera isn't the best macro in the world, but I think these pics are pretty good.

I'd appreciate any insights, knowledge, educated guesses, etc.

Thanks in advance to all.

John

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 66
  • new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 62
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 64
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 63
In for info!

I have my grandfather's retirement watch but I don't know if it is the 950B or what the gold content is. I wouldn't sell it for the world...But it is the Hamilton Railway Special. Says so on the front dial.

Still runs, just can't set the time...

It sounds great when it's running!

In for info!

I have my grandfather's retirement watch but I don't know if it is the 950B or what the gold content is. I wouldn't sell it for the world...But it is the Hamilton Railway Special. Says so on the front dial.

Still runs, just can't set the time...

It sounds great when it's running!
It's prolly a lever set. Unscrew the front face bezel and look for a lever to pull up at about 1:00.

Looks like a model 10 or 16. Can't be sure by your pics. The serial number would help narrow it down. The prices you quoted seem a tad high. Pocket watches are not typically very valuable unless they have complications which this one does not. I would estimate that in good running condition at the high end it may be around $500. I'm not exactly an expert and could use more info to be sure.

J386892

D - 62857

JW 6-08-70

C389912

Who knew the back bezel would unscrew so easily?

The second and third postings were inscribed in the back bezel by hand.

These:

D - 62857

JW 6-08-70

Are these dates?

June 8th would be his retirement date.

1970, that is.

Got his watch for 50 years of service to Waverly Mills in Laurinburg NC.

Back
Top Bottom