Looking to become a land owner, advice welcome

If your looking for rural property then stay as far away from subdivisions as possible, normally the farther from town the cheaper and the more you buy its cheaper per acre. If at sometime you plan on building then roads and utilities come into play. Check all potential property for assets, buildings, fences, saleable timber, creeks, ponds etc. Don't limit yourself to certain common finance routes, there's many means available such as large insurance companies which will gladly offer better rates and many institutions are now holding the bag on repo'ed property and you can almost dictate your terms since they just want to get out of the real estate business (not their cup of tea ). Just remember this is a spooky time to buy anything and land prices are dropping in MOST areas nationwide. There's deals out there if the timing is right for you. Back in the early 1900's my grandfather bought 1,200 acres of foreclosed farm land during a time like this for .50 cents per acre and was chased down the sidewalk by the local banker begging him to sign a note, no money down.

Great advice, thanks man. I need to sit down and really go over what areas to concentrate my searches in.

That is my dream, to own some land, maybe 10 acres and I will be happy.

Yeah it would be nice to have a few feet to call my own, have been a renter since I was 16 and never really minded not owning a home, but owning land is another story.

You have to look and you have to have CASH in hand ready to sign a contract that very moment. I got a home on 8.27 acres in Meriwether county for $35,500. The land goes for 5500 to 6k per acre and the home was assessed at 35k. I can't really shoot too much because of the way it's situated, but the neighbors are cool as heck and all gun owners so I can go shoot at their place if I want, or just use the little dirt mound I've been using. My place was a freddie mac foreclosure. The home was built in 2001 on a slab. I took in the garage and it's now 1500sf under the roof., 3 bed, 1 bath with bonus room and walk in pantry. Not fancy, but I own it outright. Good luck in your search, and make sure to check property taxes and county restrictions before signing. Even here there are some county restrictions on what you can put on your property.

Back
Top Bottom