• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to purchase a new AR any suggestions?

I guess we are reading two different things. The one I posted specifically says M4/M4A1 and M16A3/A4

"FN does this under government license, and this license applies only to the production of the M16A3/A4 for U.S. government contracts. This licensing agreement is actually between Colt and the U.S. government, and it permits the government to competitively procure the M16 rifle from FN."

Even if the agreement covers the M4/M4A1 and the M16 series of rifles, that means the only barrels covered are the 20" rifle and the 14.5", M4 profile barrels with carbine-length gas systems. Change any spec, and it's no longer covered under the agreement..

Change the length to 18", 16", 13.7", 12.5", 11.5", or 10.3" and it's no longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, so no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the 14.5" from an M4 profile to any other profile. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the 14.5", M4 profile barrel from a carbine-length gas system to a midlength gas system. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the twist rate to anything other than 1:7", or change the number of lands and grooves from 6 to something else. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the gas journal from .750" to .625", .825", or .936". No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the chamber spec from 5.56x45mm to .223 Wylde. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

There are a slew of ways to get around limiting criteria, and I guarantee the legal beagles at FN know them much better than I. They've been making military arms since 1889.

"FN does this under government license, and this license applies only to the production of the M16A3/A4 for U.S. government contracts. This licensing agreement is actually between Colt and the U.S. government, and it permits the government to competitively procure the M16 rifle from FN."

Even if the agreement covers the M4/M4A1 and the M16 series of rifles, that means the only barrels covered are the 20" rifle and the 14.5", M4 profile barrels with carbine-length gas systems. Change any spec, and it's no longer covered under the agreement..

Change the length to 18", 16", 13.7", 12.5", 11.5", or 10.3" and it's no longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, so no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the 14.5" from an M4 profile to any other profile. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the 14.5", M4 profile barrel from a carbine-length gas system to a midlength gas system. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the twist rate to anything other than 1:7", or change the number of lands and grooves from 6 to something else. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the gas journal from .750" to .625", .825", or .936". No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

Change the chamber spec from 5.56x45mm to .223 Wylde. No longer a barrel manufactured by FN for the US military, and therefore no longer covered under the agreement.

There are a slew of ways to get around limiting criteria, and I guarantee the legal beagles at FN know them much better than I. They've been making military arms since 1889.
I was not disagreeing with any of that. If you change any of those then it is no longer mil spec. They might call it mil spec but just as we spoke about the other day, if it does not adhere strictly to the TDP it is not mil spec. That is exactly the point I was trying to make, that the barrels they sell to PSA or anyone else are not the exact same barrels they sell to the military. It was my impression that was the same thing you were saying. I thought I was agreeing with you. Even changing the length from 14.5 to 16 means they are no longer mil spec.

I was not disagreeing with any of that. If you change any of those then it is no longer mil spec. They might call it mil spec but just as we spoke about the other day, if it does not adhere strictly to the TDP it is not mil spec. That is exactly the point I was trying to make, that the barrels they sell to PSA or anyone else are not the exact same barrels they sell to the military. It was my impression that was the same thing you were saying. I thought I was agreeing with you. Even changing the length from 14.5 to 16 means they are no longer mil spec.

I’ll freely admit that I will use the term ”milspec” in two different ways.

Just curious, but doesn't the TDP for both M4 and M16 rifles call for CMV barrels that would be button rifled, rendering any CHF FN barrel patterned for an M4 or M16 non Mil-spec?

Just curious, but doesn't the TDP for both M4 and M16 rifles call for CMV barrels that would be button rifled, rendering any CHF FN barrel patterned for an M4 or M16 non Mil-spec?

The milspec for M16/M4 barrels are 4150 CrMoV steel, cold hammer forged, and chrome-lined.

Back
Top Bottom