• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Low balling

I'll be honest and probably piss off some people I know that work for the PO but I'd rather try to explain USPS regulations to a pine tree than a postal clerk as I'm certain I would be more successful at the end of my effort.

I don't think those working the desk are as familiar as those delivering the mail.

I did get the big eye when I carried that Medium Flat Rate Shipping box that weighed 43 pounds, to have shipped for $13.80. lol

I'll be honest and probably piss off some people I know that work for the PO but I'd rather try to explain USPS regulations to a pine tree than a postal clerk as I'm certain I would be more successful at the end of my effort.

You don't have to explain squat to them. Every post office in the United States has a copy of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM). Shipping firearms is clearly indexed in the back, and the explanation is in very simple language. Save time, and copy the relevant language from the online version.

You are correct that it's a waste of time trying to explain something to someone who already knows everything. That's why you should insist that the look at the DMM, and if they still don't understand it, ask them to get a supervisor. The DMM is The Bible of the USPS, and not open to interpretation.

I don't waste time arguing.

You don't have to explain squat to them. Every post office in the United States has a copy of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM). Shipping firearms is clearly indexed in the back, and the explanation is in very simple language. Save time, and copy the relevant language from the online version.

You are correct that it's a waste of time trying to explain something to someone who already knows everything. That's why you should insist that the look at the DMM, and if they still don't understand it, ask them to get a supervisor. The DMM is The Bible of the USPS, and not open to interpretation.

I did just that. The best I could get out of the dumbass Macon PO manager was to have her insist I fill out and submit a PS 1508. I am not a dealer or manufacturer so I signed it Vi Coactus and then my scribbled name. I filed a protest with the Postal Inspector but that isn't going anywhere. If they had any sense at all or a modicum of talent or intellect, they wouldn't be postal employees.

temp.png

Sorry, had to FTFY.

I don't seem to be having all these problems. Maybe I keep my small talk about the weather or grandkids. No camouflage clothing, no firearm talk, no political talk.

I package, answer the digital questionnaire "NO" about the (liquids, flammables, explosives, fragile, etc), pay the postage, and off it goes to it's destination.

It's always better to act like you know what you are doing, instead of waiting on someone that probably doesn't have a clue to misdirect you.

Government employees are here to make your life more complicated, because the vast majority of them are unqualified for their position.

Perception is 9/10 of the law. If you are perceived as you know what you are doing, people don't tend to ask many questions.

Never ask a LEO about your rights, and never ask a postal worker about shipping, because you will most likely get incorrect information.

I've shipped as many as 10 long guns at one time through my local PO. They were all the same gun, so we weighed one, and I paid the postage X 10, put the postage on the pre-labeled boxes, and away they went. They all got to where they were supposed to go. My biggest problem was hauling them all to the counter.

I've shipped used guns from home. I hand them to my post person, who is pretty much a good ol' boy from Elberton, and away they go.

I shipped 40 lbs. of .44 cal. bullets in a flat rate box, and he said I probably was setting some kind of record.

Banjojohn is correct - They don't ask, and I don't tell. I think one one time asked me if I was shipping any prohibited item (stupid question) and I truthfully answered "no".

Biggest PITA is wrapping the box so you can't see the name.

I'm new here so correct me if I'm wrong, but I just assumed that some of these prices were put out there with the expectation of negotiating down. On just the first couple of pages of handguns for sale I spotted a used Taurus 380 for sale at $225 when I can get a new one today for $160, and a used Shield 9mm for $400 when I can get a new one today for $300.

Am I wrong? Are these people really expecting to get 25% more than new prices for a used gun that is still in production?

Back
Top Bottom