• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Low light class with Coup de Main Training

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I took the low light class with Coup de Main training last night, and I can highly recommend it.

Here is what I learned form the course:

Adding a light into the mix makes things 10X more difficult, not twice as difficult. On courses that in daylight - with two hands and a decent sight picture - I could run without even thinking about it, adding the light makes you go full retard if you have not done it before. I was torn between focusing on what the light was doing and what the muzzle was doing. Gonna have to run a lot more drills.

I need to work on my point shooting. Big time. In shooting gun games, you generally have good light ant two hands, it is very easy to pick up the front sight and pop two off quickly. When it gets dark and you are having to rely on a handheld light or ambient light, it is WAY more difficult. All of the practice I do now revolves around the front sight. After last night, I will be working on point shooting a lot more.

Your light makes a big difference. The one I used did not have an intermittent feature. That one will be replaced.

The class was a real eye opener.

I'll definitely be taking more classes with Will.

Also gonna head up and over to DTK and Protective Measures soon too.

I've had two low light classes and several low/no light matches to learn a few things. I don't point shoot, even when using a handheld light. Used correctly you should still be able to get a sight picture.

I've had two low light classes and several low/no light matches to learn a few things. I don't point shoot, even when using a handheld light. Used correctly you should still be able to get a sight picture.

I need a lot more practice with a light. My brain tries to focus on the light and/ or the target instead of the front sight.

I need a lot more practice with a light. My brain tries to focus on the light and/ or the target instead of the front sight.

Dryfire (with all the appropriate safety precautions) will help with that. If it helps, keep in mind that the light is a tool used to identify the target, not an aiming reference point.

Dryfire (with all the appropriate safety precautions) will help with that. If it helps, keep in mind that the light is a tool used to identify the target, not an aiming reference point.

Yep. Easier said than done! Especially when lighting one target and using the halo to engage another nearby target.

The other hard one was when there was barely enough ambient light to see the target. Even with night sights, unless they are XS or a big ole Ameriglo Hack, you either have to go ridiculously slow and find the sights or point shoot.

X2 on this. I'm hoping that point shooting at night isn't what you got out of the class? It's actually a bit scary to think that they didn't beat that out of you in the class. Proper light technique will allow you to shoot as you do in the day. "Friends don't let friends Point Shoot".:D

Back
Top Bottom