• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M&P 9 C.O.R.E vs Glock 17L

Wallace's

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Well, went to the range yesterday to shoot a few pistols with my buddy that finally got into firearms.

While there, I decided to do a side by side comparison of these 2 pistols. These were the results of my not too great shooting abilities, and opinions on my perceived results.

photo 3 (1).JPG

First was the M&P 9 C.O.R.E. with a Burris Fast Fire II

I have to say that S&W factory trigger is just awesome in this thing. I have shot Glocks with the Zev & ghost connectors and I swear this still feels better to me. I think its my preference of the shape of the trigger. The smooth contour feels much more comfortable to me than any Glock trigger. The trigger safety on the Glock 17L just adds that tiny bump that is just not as comfortable.

My groups were at a whopping, mind blowing, amazing...ok, not really, 15 ft for both pistols.

At the widest, measured 2.5" even with the one I pulled. I was using printer paper with a dot I colored in the middle with a Sharpie to shoot at. This was a total of 17 rds.

The Burris FastFire II is an ok optic. The dot is not the brightest and easy to find quickly as one would think, but is definitely a huge step up over just plain traditional sights. I am not complaining as it came on the pistol when I bought it and got the whole setup for a pretty sweet deal. I would rather have the Trijicon RMR or DeltaPoint as they have a MUCH better retical, but are alot more expensive too.

Immediately, like all M&P pistols IMO, the ergonomics with the largest palm insert are just about perfect for my hand. A consistent grip for comfortable, stable follow up shots were much easier to produce than with the Glock.

photo 1 (4).JPG

Next was the Glock 17L.

My groups were not as nice but were only .5" wider than with the M&P. Granted I didn't have a red dot on the 17L, I still just don't feel as good shooting it as the M&P. Due to the typical 2x4 Glock grip ergonomics fit in my hand, I always feel more perceived recoil with the Glock than I do in the M&P. A great shooting pistol, but the M&P edges it out in just about every category to me.

Below were my 11 shots.
(forgot to bring my 17rd mags and only had 2 old 10 rounders that don't hold open on empty :( ).

photo 2 (4).JPG

All in all both pistols performed pretty good. I feel the longer sight radius makes tighter groups much easier to me with both, but the vastly improved M&P ergonomics made it even that much easier.

If in the market for either, it is my preference to go with the M&P. Smooth factory trigger with the far superior grip comfort make it a winner for me!

This is a similar opinion added to an older thread.

I too, have both the G-17L and an M&P Core 9L. My M&P is a ported 5 inch Performance Center Gun -- I do not know if they all are or not.

The Performance Center gun comes with a trigger/sear upgrade that the standard model does not have. I have further upgraded my Smith with the Apex Tactical sear and spring kit. After several light primer strikes and failures to fire with the Apex Striker Spring, I favor the factory striker spring combined with the remaining parts of the Apex kit. The Apex sear IS a further upgrade to the factory Performance Center sear.

So, like a used AR, Glock, or Harley for that matter, a used M&P can come with a long list of good and bad after market parts in various combinations.

Accuracy: the same, comes down to individual gun variances in tolerances.

Trigger pull/feel: personal preference, I like the M&P and how it feels, but I prefer the Glock when it comes down to follow up shots and reset feel. I think that even the standard unported M&P probably has less felt recoil; its grip is very comfortable.

Grip feel: M&P is better to me, but the Glock is is easier to grab from a holster and fire accurately under time constraints, due to the blocky grip making a misaligned hand position easier to detect and prevent.

Mechanical design: the Glock is simpler, has fewer parts, cheaper parts, and is easier to work on. The Smith has a lot of additional parts--very small, easy to loose parts.

Somewhere, sometime ago, I remember reading a Glock targeted warning about the combination of a light recoil spring and an extra power striker spring making it possible for Glock to fire out of battery. The problem was said to be that the trigger bar pushing back against a striker equipped with an extra power striker spring, could push the entire slide aft and out of battery as the trigger was pulled. The timing of the events would allow the striker pin safety to disengage and allow the gun to fire out of battery. I think the M&P's pivoting sear design has an advantage in this scenario. The scenario does not seem likely to occur in a properly maintained gun.

Barrels: the Glock Factory barrel does not work well with lead bullets, but is touted as working better with FMJ bullets--I have seen this myself many times. The M&P barrel uses standard rifling and works great with cheap lead bullets--no need to buy an after market barrel.

Magazines: both get the job done, M&P mags are metal, Glock's are plastic and metal. I think the Glock mag will take more abuse; its feed lips and base plates seem stronger by design.

Both guns run very reliably.

Which gun do I trust the most straight out of the box: my Sig 226. The others are all the about the same.

Back
Top Bottom