• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 30 carbine gunsmith or help needed

Looks like it might be out of spec or not assembled exactly right. Man i wish you were closer id love to get my hands on it and fix it for you

Is there someone local you can borrow an oprod from?

They do suffer wear and/or damage in service.

They should interchange without fitting, and tell right off if it is the problem.

I spoke with another member last night, Tgunner. He was able to walk me through a lot of what we think the problem was. I am waiting to get to the range to see if our repair conversation fixed my issue.

I spoke with another member last night, Tgunner. He was able to walk me through a lot of what we think the problem was. I am waiting to get to the range to see if our repair conversation fixed my issue.

Sometimes that is the best thing to do...go to the range.
I did not see the specific bolt/op rod issue listed in the Kuhnhausen book.

It may be a bent slide or out of time barrel. Or as simple as when I loaded a round I pulled the handle to far rearward and out and allowed it to slip out of the guide on the right side. When it does that it lifts the bolt out of track as well and will not let it go into battery. That is similar to what happened at the range the first time. Gun does have some wear, and may need a new slide to function 100%. Waiting to find out.

Caught up with your progress as I had not been keeping up. Did you get to shoot it?

I am wondering if the Op Rod is bent? If you sight down the whole thing, does the charging handle portion look like it flares outward from the rest of the rod? Might be easier to post a picture.

The way they are designed, so you should NOT be able to disengage once assembled, without doing the take down, but who knows? It certainly sounds like it is "disassembling" itself during functioning....not a good situation.

Still hoping you get it resolved so you can enjoy the thing, without worrying about it blowing up while firing!

Not to scare you...

IMG_20200418_173134709.jpg
IMG_20200418_173433770.jpg
Can you post a picture of your Spring guide? It is the rod that goes inside the recoil spring and nests between the receiver and the slide. Is it bent?

I was playing around with two of my carbines and realize that with no spring and guide rod in place, there IS enough play in the design to allow the starting of the op rod out of the disassembly notch on the receiver on the gun without the recoil spring and recoil guide rod.

If your recoil guide rod is bent, it may be rotating during operation and giving the slide enough wiggle room to disengage itself, leading to the bolt coming free of the Op Rod...? That, along with a worn disassembly tab on the Op Rod could combine to be allowing loose tolerances so your gun is acting the way it is.

I found a reference to a stuck "bolt hold open button" causing upward pressure on the Op Rod and leading to your condition of automatic disassembly.

Does the hold open button pop back up easily and is not corroded in the down position? If it doesn't, disassemble and clean or replace the spring within the hold open button.

View attachment 2585854 View attachment 2585856 Can you post a picture of your Spring guide? It is the rod that goes inside the recoil spring and nests between the receiver and the slide. Is it bent?

I was playing around with two of my carbines and realize that with no spring and guide rod in place, there IS enough play in the design to allow the starting of the op rod out of the disassembly notch on the receiver on the gun without the recoil spring and recoil guide rod.

If your recoil guide rod is bent, it may be rotating during operation and giving the slide enough wiggle room to disengage itself, leading to the bolt coming free of the Op Rod...? That, along with a worn disassembly tab on the Op Rod could combine to be allowing loose tolerances so your gun is acting the way it is.

She looks dry......

:boink:
just messing with you...

Back
Top Bottom