M1 Garand Accuracy ....tips...tricks?

Will you be shooting it in CMP Garand matches? If so, have your rifle accurized by Steve Edwards in Buchanan GA. He charges around a hundred bucks. He specializes in Garands & M14/M1A's. LM me for contact info if you interested.

I fired some Service Rifle matches during the late fifties, early sixties where the rifle had to be a rack rifle with no extensive mods. If the luck of the draw gave me a "loosey goosie" rifle, I used strips cut from 3x5 index cards as shims to tighten the receiver in the stock. It wasn't glass bedding; but it served a similar purpose. :thumb:

Definitely check for play in the gas cylinder and front sight even the tiniest bit of play can cost you inches. Peen the splines. You also want a gap between the rear ring of the gas cylinder and the front hand guard. Also play in the front hand guard is a good thing. Check your rear sight aperture for play as well as if your trigger assembly has a tight lockup. Accurizing a Garand is not difficult by any means! The cmp forum is a great knowledge base as well as the cmp website. Happy shooting! Hopefully we can see your old war horse at the riflemans weekend ready to put up some numbers!

BRASS

Breath
Release (the breath)
Aim
Stop (breathing)
Squeeze

And get a good natural point of aim, don't muscle the rifle.
Look down the sights and get on the target.
Close your eyes and take a breath.
Open your eyes, if you're not on the bullseye move your body, not the rifle.
Continue until you're on the bullseye when you open your eyes.
Natural point of aim is the difference between shooting a small rapid fire group or a large one.

Great advice. I tell students to visualize the little green army man with the M16.
image.jpeg

Written by Project Appleseed's founder. Come to an event and we will give you a good foundation in sling use, steady hold factors and the six steps to firing the shot, and NPOA.
Appleseed - Search States for an Event

I'll be at the one in Macon next month.

Will you be shooting it in CMP Garand matches? If so, have your rifle accurized by Steve Edwards in Buchanan GA. He charges around a hundred bucks. He specializes in Garands & M14/M1A's. LM me for contact info if you interested.

Steve is Top Notch, A+++ guy.

Back
Top Bottom