• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Machinist/machine shop

I think the reason this guy got back in business is because there's no one else around here doing anything.
I really hope he gets it moving. Only problem is most techs now days know nothing but swapping parts and don’t utilize machine shops like we did years ago. Our (my?) age group built our motors from the bare block up and now everybody swaps motors ( old school here, I know it’s technically an “engine”) I’m sure 41mag 41mag and many others here can write a book on real auto mechanics.
Mechanics, parts houses and machine shops now days…what a joke.
I‘ll get down off my box now…

I
I really hope he gets it moving. Only problem is most techs now days know nothing but swapping parts and don’t utilize machine shops like we did years ago. Our (my?) age group built our motors from the bare block up and now everybody swaps motors ( old school here, I know it’s technically an “engine”) I’m sure 41mag 41mag and many others here can write a book on real auto mechanics.
Mechanics, parts houses and machine shops now days…what a joke.
I‘ll get down off my box now…
I'm with you. Last few I've done we with a ball hone and flat stock. I've been waiting to find a real machine shop for the Honda head but just got lucky on the yota 4.7 block and heads.
I'm not a technician and really only mechanic for family and friends and the occasional hard case..

I
I'm with you. Last few I've done we with a ball hone and flat stock. I've been waiting to find a real machine shop for the Honda head but just got lucky on the yota 4.7 block and heads.
I'm not a technician and really only mechanic for family and friends and the occasional hard case..
I have still had decent luck with Chix. But haven’t sent anything to them in a year maybe. I went to school with the lead machinist that was over there for the longest. Like i said though, I haven’t been around there in a year and a lot can change.

If I could precur the equipment and all at a decent cost, I wouldn’t mind opening a good machine shop for cars and bikes , etc.,

Me too also. Except, I'm not a machinist and have never tried. My motto is, if someone else can do it, I can also
Absolutely ! I have worked on cars, trucks, bikes all my life just about, I know it wouldn’t take much to learn the machining processes. It can’t be that hard . The cost of the equipment would be the biggeee !!

Absolutely ! I have worked on cars, trucks, bikes all my life just about, I know it wouldn’t take much to learn the machining processes. It can’t be that hard . The cost of the equipment would be the biggeee !!
I found some decent deals on some govt sites but with no where to put them, there's no sense in dreaming. If you get back to being able to drive and not worry about the seizures we could explore some ideas.

In my first life… a 15 year span, I owned a marine dealership. Thru the years I gained master tech certifications in Mercury / Mercruiser, Johnson/ Evinrude, and OMC stern drives. We raced 2 stroke offshore Mercs and was very good at it. In those years I met and dealt with a lot of “true” machinists in the southern states.
Nearly everyone of those machinist‘s knowledge was from trial and error and knowing what needed doing and learned to operate the equipment with no formal training. Most only had a high school education and some of those didn’t have that. They. Were. All. Good to Excellent! Funny thing is most had the shops setup in old barns and chicken houses. Such a shame the trade has gotten where it is.

In my first life… a 15 year span, I owned a marine dealership. Thru the years I gained master tech certifications in Mercury / Mercruiser, Johnson/ Evinrude, and OMC stern drives. We raced 2 stroke offshore Mercs and was very good at it. In those years I met and dealt with a lot of “true” machinists in the southern states.
Nearly everyone of those machinist‘s knowledge was from trial and error and knowing what needed doing and learned to operate the equipment with no formal training. Most only had a high school education and some of those didn’t have that. They. Were. All. Good to Excellent! Funny thing is most had the shops setup in old barns and chicken houses. Such a shame the trade has gotten where it is.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Nothing beats good ole hands on experience when it comes to specialized repair . You can have all that book training in the world but if you haven’t had a few apart with someone who knows, it’s not all roses !

Back
Top Bottom