• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mags: loaded or unloaded

Loaded or not?

• Loaded and ready to rock

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • unloaded, saves the springs

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • mags? I only haz banana clips shawty

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
Loaded. It won't put any excessive wear on your springs, it's loading and unloading them that causes the springs to weaken over time.

Correct! The fatigue failure is caused by loading and unloading. Keeping them loaded doesn't damage them because the spring is always within the elastic region of deformation.

The only mags I don't keep loaded are the few new ones that are still in the package. I have 12 mags for every handgun that are loaded all of the time. I keep at least 3 new ones that have never been loaded for long term storage. Glock is so close that if I need new springs, I just take my mags there and they swap them out. I probably have 500-600 rounds loaded at any time. I do this because I don't want to waste time reloading mags at the range. I usually carry 1 spare mag on me and another couple in my truck for every day carry.

Older mags, like 40-50 years old may have softer steel springs and "take a set", but it is usually the cheaper off brand mags that have inferior springs. I suspect the older mags problems come from the sheer number of cycles more than the quality of spring steel.

I have been told, If you leave the spring compressed it does not hurt it. Its the up and down that weakens it. (load and unload)
Agreed.
I have heard that you need to leave the dust over on plastic mags to reduce some the strain on the housing though. Metal won't deform over time but plastic will.

Everything I think I might POSSIBLY need to use in short order: loaded.

i47.tinypic.com_2zh3atk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom