• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mailboxes

When I was with the DA's office doing my own criminal investigation follow-ups,
I'd often find houses with no number on them OR on the mailbox, and I'd usually look at the envelopes of the delivered mail inside the mailbox JUST TO SEE THAT THAT ADDRESS WAS.

Not sure about simply looking at the outside of the mail for name correspondence reasons (walks a fine line in my opinion) ,but opening any sealed mail without a warrant is a big no no.

When I was with the DA's office doing my own criminal investigation follow-ups,
I'd often find houses with no number on them OR on the mailbox, and I'd usually look at the envelopes of the delivered mail inside the mailbox JUST TO SEE THAT THAT ADDRESS WAS.

If you removed the mail from the mailbox, and you were not an authorized Postal Service Person at the time; you may have violated the law.

And, I doubt the element of asportation
would be met as to that chattel property
by holding up to your eyes right next to the mailbox, but out of it, for 10 seconds, before putting it back in..

And, I doubt the element of asportation
would be met as to that chattel property
by holding up to your eyes right next to the mailbox, but out of it, for 10 seconds, before putting it back in..

You might want to keep looking; or ask a postal inspector. The laws and regs regarding mail are not like anything else.

Back
Top Bottom