• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mainstreet Range & Guns in Lilburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that sound fishy. I just happened to drive by that shop and decided to try and stop in sometime soon. I think I'll hold off on that visit.

Please post if you get to the bottom of this.

That doesn't sound right at all.

1) Bud's sold you the gun. Therefore, it is their responsibility to collect/submit the sales tax, no? Did the manager cite this phantom law? And what are the odds that the unpaid tax surprisingly equaled $25.00 even?

2) Did you call or email Bud's to discuss it with them. I imagine they would want to be made aware of any suspect business practices. Or call the GA Dept of Revenue, since they are responsible for sales tax. I'm sure they can give you a straight answer.

3) Live and learn. Call around. I have two local pawn shops who do FFL's for $20 and $25, respectively. Some places charge far more, as you found out.

Just my 2 cents.

I would ask for a detailed receipt...I own a retail store and have to deal with people buying stuff off the web and wanting us to install or build it...we charge our normal labor rate...

This tax sounds more PUNITIVE than anything....Seems to warrant a return visit...also, there SHOULD be a shop policy posted somewhere...this sounds like a poor business model to me..best of luck.
shane

I would just let them know that they got you for $25 but they just cost themselves a lot of customers. Sounds like they did you wrong and if they didnt make it right
then they wont ever get any of my money. I'm sure they have so many customers they dont need any of us gun people there.

PS call Bud's and let them know also so maybe they wont use them anymore. It gives Buds a bad name to.

Wow sounds like lying bull****. If BUDS didnt collect tax from you, why would they need to collect it for? They don't want buds to get in trouble? Hahahahha short fat guy is a lying sob. I saw him tell lies to many customers at gun shows.

Honestly i would love to know the issue of the "sales tax" on an internet purchase.
Do they have the authority to charge you a tax on a sale that was taken place outside of georgia?
in addition they are not selling you anything.... you pay them a service fee for them to transfer it to you.
So if they dont technically sell you anything besides their initial transfer service how can they collect a tax??

Ok so $25/$329 thats about 7.5% sales tax which may be reasonable.

Any lawyers out here?

Also IMHO its not worth going to small claims court... they would just loose my business for doing small gestures like this.

I bought a firearm from budsgunshop.com in mid-December, and used Mainstreet Firearms (then on Arcado Rd in Lilburn) as the FFL destination. The firearm arrived today and I went to their brand new site (Killian Hill Rd near Hwy 29) to pick it up. The gun was there, but I encountered an unpleasant surprise. Mainstreet was going to charge me $50 for the FFL rather than the normal $25. The reason they gave was that budsgunshop.com was supposed to charge me sales tax, but did not.

I asked for the manager and had a little chat with him. He was pleasant enough but firm on his policy. He said that budsgunshop.com is a wholesaler but is trying to represent itself as a retailer. He says budsgunshop is breaking the law by not charging me sales tax. He told me that there was a Georgia law passed in July 2012 that requires the tax. (I've bought guns online before without having to do that, but it was prior to July 2012.)

He also said his prices would be better than budsgunshop.com if they were required to charge tax.

It was a bit ambiguous whether he is actually charging me tax. I got the impression he's really just jacking up the FFL price for guns from budsgunshop.com because he feels it's not fair for them not to have to charge tax. He mentioned a few other online sources that he handles the same way for the same reason. To me it appears to be a bait-and-switch. I bought the gun at one price, and then was charged an additional amount on top of the expected FFL fee upon pickup.

I didn't see any option but to pay the $50 FFL to get the gun. Did I get ripped off?

IMHO best thing for you to do is go back and get a receipt. If they list the $50 as a transfer fee....then you got ripped off because they are keeping the extra $25 in their pocket. If the receipt shows $25 as a transfer fee and $25 as a "sales tax" then just wait a couple of months and report the gun store to your friendly Georgia tax authorities....Because I strongly suspect the gun store will not remit that $25 to the state of Georgia as they are required to do with all sales taxes collected. If they are collecting additional transfer fees under the pretense of collecting sales taxes but then not giving those monies over to the state they are committing FRAUD...big time.

Contact Bud's. They need to be removed from the preferred dealer list.

They're free to charge what they want, but collecting tax on a transfer ain't too kosher.

Bud's is an online retailer, they aren't wholesaling anything to the public.

I don't use the term liar often, and I won't here. How about confused and severely mislead?

Maybe, their own worst enemy? Oh well, it's their business, but our (your) money being taken under the guise of collecting sales tax on a transfer. It's none of their business what you paid!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom