• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Man, I need this like a .44 inch hole in the head

JHV2

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
So, I've always had a 44 magnum in the stable. I have even converted to hunting deer with the .44 mag instead of my trusty 30-30.
However I never experienced the .44 special mystique until last year. I even had a .44 special CCW that I never fired and sold to a member here. But last year I stumbled on to a good deal on an old S&W 44 Second Model.

I was HOOKED! It is hard to explain. Shooting .44 special out of a piece built for it -- rather than the bulky magnum -- is just something that cannot be explained. Since then, Ive been on the lookout for a .44 Special target revolver.

As it so happens I am also hooked on the 6.5" S&W N-frame. 6" is just not enough, might as well have 4". The problem is .44 special Smiths are just not that easy to come by, especially in blue. (I just can't get into stainless for the range.) So I've been safe because the prices were just too high.

Until now. This week I stumbled on a deal and grabbed it (S&W mod 44-3). No, it is not "pinned" but it will have to do until I can justify that "pre" model. I've yet to pick it up. It makes no sense because I could just go out tomorrow and shoot .44 special in my magnum, but I just cannot wait until this beauty arrives. That little bit of taper in the barrel is just irresistible.

Anyone else hooked on the ".44 Special Mistique?"

pix614112701.jpg
pix241302675.jpg
The one that got me hooked.
webpages.charter.net_vaughanhome_arms_442nd.jpg

Last edited:
I've honestly never even fired a .44special round got tons of 44mag under my belt, my ccw is a 44mag.

Ive thought about getting some to fire in my ccw pictured below

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121123_173609_1_2.jpg

I never understood the modern use of 44Spl. It's a big, heavy bullet, but it's slow, and is easily overpowered by just about any 9mm load in terms of velocity and (most importantly IMO) energy.

I never understood the modern use of 44Spl. It's a big, heavy bullet, but it's slow, and is easily overpowered by just about any 9mm load in terms of velocity and (most importantly IMO) energy.

Yes, but you can shoot it in a cowboy gun without bustin your hand.

Here.s an explanation you can understand a 9MM starts out at .355" diameter and may or may not expand. A.44 special starts at .429 though it may or may not not expand it'll always be at least .429. Older lower pressure loadings may be slow but is plenty fast enough to take out all but the quickest ninjas.
Several manufacturers make rounds pushing 165- 180gr .429 projectiles at 1000+fps.
Buffalo bore has a loading with a 180 claiming 1150FPS

And the 9mm is overpowered by many "modern" calibers, so that is not a great comparison.

You are correct, 44 is not for speed freaks. But not everyone has that need. Sometimes "better" is just a waste if what you have is "good enough"

Someone get back to me when the .357 sig has been in use for a century or has put away half as many bad guys, or won half as many competitions as he old decrepit .38 special (or 9mm for that matter.)

Back
Top Bottom