• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Man on your property

zracin

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I live in a rough yet transitional side of town, so its a mixed crowd regarding crime and income-classes. Just to give an example: There was an incident a few months ago where a white mercedes benz pulled up to a home 5 doors down from mine and shot off 16 rounds into the home (luckily noone was home or got hurt). Here's my scenario that occurred recently. And i know some people will say "just move", but its not really an option for me right now. I am at my home sitting on the front porch at night, see a man coming into my yard. I ask who he is and get no response and blank look, he continues to walk towards the front of my house, so I ask him to leave and there is no chance he cannot hear me unless he is literally deaf, he continues forward without speaking, nothing in his hands, but at this point is close enough that I can see mischief or at least a sense that he is attempting to invoke fear or intimidation. I do not recognize him from the neighborhood either. He was still far enough away and I was close enough to my door that I just went inside, locked the door, and grabbed my 12ga just in case. As it was, he turned back towards the street. It was probably just some intimidation stunt.

....But what If he were running or i was further from my door. I not want to turn my back and walk to my front door, and may not be able to back up fast enough to the door. At what point could I draw a weapon if i had one on me (I know firing would be out of the question without him being nearly on top of me or with a weapon) but i do not want to wait until its too late to be prepared. I understand the use of deadly force, but what about drawing a weapon?? pointing a weapon??

if im on my property and someone is coming at me in an aggressive matter then im drawing my weapon.

I follow different rules when im on my property then if im out in public, but thats just me.

I live in a rough yet transitional side of town, so its a mixed crowd regarding crime and income-classes. Just to give an example: There was an incident a few months ago where a white mercedes benz pulled up to a home 5 doors down from mine and shot off 16 rounds into the home (luckily noone was home or got hurt). Here's my scenario that occurred recently. And i know some people will say "just move", but its not really an option for me right now. I am at my home sitting on the front porch at night, see a man coming into my yard. I ask who he is and get no response and blank look, he continues to walk towards the front of my house, so I ask him to leave and there is no chance he cannot hear me unless he is literally deaf, he continues forward without speaking, nothing in his hands, but at this point is close enough that I can see mischief or at least a sense that he is attempting to invoke fear or intimidation. I do not recognize him from the neighborhood either. He was still far enough away and I was close enough to my door that I just went inside, locked the door, and grabbed my 12ga just in case. As it was, he turned back towards the street. It was probably just some intimidation stunt.....But what If he were running or i was further from my door. I not want to turn my back and walk to my front door, and may not be able to back up fast enough to the door. At what point could I draw a weapon if i had one on me (I know firing would be out of the question without him being nearly on top of me or with a weapon) but i do not want to wait until its too late to be prepared. I understand the use of deadly force, but what about drawing a weapon?? pointing a weapon??
Right or wrong. I would have dropped him in the yard. Nobody is going to chase me into my home. Two in the chest, one in the head, call the morge because that ****ers dead.

For your particular situation, you seemed to have handled it adequately because you are still here. This type of thing happens often where I live, which is exactly why I always carry even if I am just checking the mail, cutting the grass, or bull****ting with the neighbor. I would hate to be caught in a situation so close to home and not have the ability to defend myself.

Okay I'm going to play lawyer.

It's during normal business hours, he's on the pathway to your door, so he's lawfully present until you ask him to leave. In transitional towns, there are usually some "transitional" DA's who love to prosecute things like this.

This may be a case of reach towards your hip, draw but don't point, etc...because of the grey lines of disparity of force.

that said, if he is laying in your yard at the end of this, wait for your lawyer, only state you were in fear for your life then STFU, maybe later say he said "I'm going to kill you" to solidify the threat. Now I'm not advocating lying....just strategic phrasing.

Also practice home carry.

I have a GWCL (not that it matters at home) but what about on a dark street in downtown ATL? are there laws for drawing a weapon or use of threat, but not force?

I have a GWCL (not that it matters at home) but what about on a dark street in downtown ATL? are there laws for drawing a weapon or use of threat, but not force?

Depends if it was justified, were you in reasonable fear, what was the nature of the threat you stated, nature of the threat posed to you, did you pull it out or point it?, how many of them were there, did they have any item that could be used as a weapon, did they handle it to show that it would be used as a weapon.... alot of factors there, just stay out of dark alleys in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom