• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin 1894 problems

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I took a Marlin 1894 (44 mag) in trade about 5 years ago. Shot it maybe 20 rounds no issues. I wasnt using it so it has to go. A gentleman did I'll take it. As usual I clean lube, and inspect for function. I loaded up 5 dummy rounds and commence to jacking them through the action. First round the lever stays open , wont budge, and the round is 1/2 way out of the magazine tube. Jammed bad. I had to disassemble and yank the bent round (dummy) out. I cycled the action and it seemed smooth. Load the dummies up and the same jam. Multiple times it jams. Wont feed a single round and the cases are mangled by the time I get them out. I PM's the buyer and called the deal off I cant sell somebody a broken gun.

Anybody know a Marlin expert? I hate to take a very old used gun to a gunsmith end up with more in repairs then what is worth. I did check with the guy I bought it from and he claims ignorance but what else would he say after 5 years :grey:. He did say he replaced the feed lever, magazine cap, spring, and load gate spring. I wonder why???? Any input is appreciated.

check the loading gate and make sure its aligned properly and tighten screw ive seen 2 of these do that now. sometimes will actually bind the gun completely up

check the loading gate and make sure its aligned properly and tighten screw ive seen 2 of these do that now. sometimes will actually bind the gun completely up

I'll check. It locks up tight as a drum with the lever fully open and the round partially out of the tube magazine. Wont budge from that point. I have to disassemble the action and push the round down and out of the magazine. The round has a huge bend/dent in the side.

When the lever is jacked open the the carrier is lifted in position (UP) on the closing stroke the bolt should move forward loading a round into the chamber. However, the magazine tube follower cap (a red piece of plastic) is preventing the carrier from moving downward. It's as if the follower cap is pushing to far rearward. Same occurs with cartridges loaded. The cartridge is a slight distance too far back. That jams the carrier from going down. Once the cartridge case is bent it is out of alignment and disassembly is the only way out.

More heads are better then my one. I really dont want to spend money fixing this old gun. It may become an ornament over my fireplace.

Just noticed too the loading gate doesnt seat fully up and contacts the feed mechanism too. I took it out and it's flat. I'd expect a slight bend to give spring tension?????

The carrier looks ragged compared to my other 1894. $50 part. I may get an aluminum magazine follower while I'm at it the plastic doesn't look durable. Maybe a feed gate door as well. $75 at Brownells. If that doesn't fix it it's destined to be a wall hanger.

i62.tinypic.com_2mr6sf9.jpg

i58.tinypic.com_111jal0.jpg

i60.tinypic.com_6xrqmo.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_30vf5i1.jpg

Had a marlin with the same problem around 40 years ago. Tightened the screws and it worked, problem fixed. Passed this on to a friend, tightened screws with no change. Moral of the story tightening screws may or may not fix. From the looks of pictures , Brownells looks like your best bet.

So it functioned fine 5 years ago, stored, recently cleaned and now it won't function.

Does not seem like it would have loosened up sitting. I would suspect old lube congealed to a tar (shellac) like state that doesn't clean well. I'd blast the bejesus out of it with carb cleaner at a minimum then lube it generously.

I'll assume you didn't break the gun down to clean it, did you?

If that failed then a detailed strip/disassembly, cleaning, inspection, reassembly and lube seems to be in order.

Back
Top Bottom