• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin 1894 problems

So it functioned fine 5 years ago, stored, recently cleaned and now it won't function.

Does not seem like it would have loosened up sitting. I would suspect old lube congealed to a tar (shellac) like state that doesn't clean well. I'd blast the bejesus out of it with carb cleaner at a minimum then lube it generously.

I'll assume you didn't break the gun down to clean it, did you?

If that failed then a detailed strip/disassembly, cleaning, inspection, reassembly and lube seems to be in order.

Initial purchased used and shot 7-8 rounds. I took it in trade didnt really need it. My grand kids probably put 20 rounds down the tube over those 5 years.
Could be gummed up.. no Frog Lube :p I gave it a once over the other night and the jamming started. Disassembly shows the carrier has more wear then my newer 1894. I've ordered a carrier, mag follower, and load gate. marlinowners.com has a ton of threads about Marlin Jam-O-matics. we will see what happens.

Range update... Took the 1894 to the range. Ran 100 rounds through it without a single hitch. To verify even further we had a 12 y.o. young lady shoot nearly 30 rounds. She was a better shot then me :wacko: The young lady wasnt interested in it, but she wanted my Winchester 22 WMR. So now with the extra's that were needed it's probably a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom