• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

mater samich

This is the first year I havent grown a garden and I'm regretting it, next year I'm going to build some raised beds to make up for it and grow a heck of a garden.

Love the raised beds, it's the way to go.
Don't make them 4' wide like I did, that's a mistake sometimes, shoot for 3'.
If you plant green beans thick in a 4' planter it's hell to pick the ones in the middle!
You just can't reach them without standing and bending over at the waist and that gets old fast.
For other stuff 4' wide has always seemed just fine, so if nothing else build one a little thinner.

Love the raised beds, it's the way to go.
Don't make them 4' wide like I did, that's a mistake sometimes, shoot for 3'.
If you plant green beans thick in a 4' planter it's hell to pick the ones in the middle!
You just can't reach them without standing and bending over at the waist and that gets old fast.
For other stuff 4' wide has always seemed just fine, so if nothing else build one a little thinner.
How tall did you build them?

How tall did you build them?
hikingthehills hikingthehills
I have two 6 inchers on top of each other, but only have about 6 to 8 inches of dirt in them.
Everything I've read says 8 inches is deep enough for just about everything.

Only when you plant potatoes (sweet/red/white) do you really NEED any deeper.
If you ever plant white or red potatoes, that's where you plant them every year forever.
You'll never get them all and you'll have potatoes growing in the middle of whatever you planted that next year, so keep them in one place!

Now I helped the older lady across the street build hers, very inexpensively.
Home Depot sells 8 or 10 inch(?) tall cedar planks about 12' long.
They're holding up very well. This is probably year 4 and they still look great.
I used some 2 X 2's to do the corners and a couple down the side to keep them staked.

Back
Top Bottom