• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mauser Info?

huntin42

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Chris, GREAT DAY!
73   0
Reaction score
Howdy,
This is my first time posting in this forum so forgive me if I list something wrong or am looking in the wrong place.
I have an older Mauser that was left to me when my dad passed away. I know very little about this gun and am hoping to find out a little more information.
What I think I know is this: its a Mauser action that was redone in 270. Someone spent a lot of time engraving some pretty detailed wildlife scenes on it. The numbers on the left side of the receiver has something to do with the powder charge?
I guess my main questions would be these:
1. Who was the original manufacturer?
2. Any way to figure out manufacturer of the barrel?
3. Any way to figure out who did the engraving?
4. Set triggers? How they work - which is the set trigger - which order do you pull them?
5. Stock - could it be original - any way to tell manufacturer?
6. Value?
There arnt many markings on the gun. I tried to include pictures of everything I could see. There are no words, only the proof marks. I can take more pictures if needed. Any information would be extremely appreciated!!
Thanks, Chris
**more pictures of engraving at bottom of comments**

20160823_202959.jpg
20160823_202928.jpg
20160831_202221.jpg
20160831_202433.jpg
20160823_202959.jpg
20160823_202928.jpg
20160831_202221.jpg
20160831_202433.jpg

Attachments

• 20160823_202943.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Definitely not in original form. Sporterized, and personally engraved for him maybe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Definitely not in original form. Sporterized, and personally engraved for him maybe.

Thanks for the response! From my previous readings, I understand that .270 was not an original caliber. The only marking on the barrel is .270 Win. What do you mean exactly when you say sporterized? Thanks again for the response!

Sportirized is the way they've cut the stock down to look more like a hunting rifle, not the original stock from the day when it was made. They may even cut the barrel down shorter too. The caliber size of mausers I know are 6.5, 7, and 8mm in general. Maybe there are other calibers as well, but .270 Winn sounds strange for a mauser, unless they changed the barrel all together and only fitted it to a mauser action, bolt and receiver. I'm far from an expert. There are guys on here who know tons more than me.
#enfieldguy

Sometimes it is difficult to ID a rifle without having it in hand. Obviously a nice Mauser hunting rifle most likely customized in Germany. The proofs on the bolt are the ones used prior to 1939. The numbers on the receiver are the smokeless powder proof. Thhe GPB stands for Gewehr Blattchenpulver. Between the wars, many German gunsmiths turned to making German military rifles into hunting rifles. They are generally called Guild rifles due to many being sold through gunmakers guilds. Since the gun was engraved, quite nicely, the original manufacturers marks were eliminated as apparently any barrel markings. The original barrel may have been converted to .270 or a new barrel added.
The stock is not a modified military stock.
Usually set triggers are cocked with the rear trigger and fired from the front trigger.
As to values, Google is your friend. Search the gun auction sites for similar guns and that will give you a price range.

Thank you both for the information! I have learned more on here in an hour than the past 10-15 of random Google searches an gun shows! Thank you again! And if anyone else wants to add to that, I will gladly accept all input! Really debating on whether to sell it or keep it until I have the money to refinish it, put a nice stock on it an take it to the range or hunting...

As he mentioned above, it being redone in Germany makes it of special interest to some people. You might have a nice unique collectors item.

Back
Top Bottom