• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

May be sitting on the floor here soon...

Stol3n

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying a house (waiting to close), but the only thing I can visualize is moving in and having no place to sit or sleep. Many things I am but a furniture guru I am not, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I know to check for dovetailed drawers on the bedroom pieces, but not sure what to look out for when buying couches, chairs, etc. From what I hear the furniture business is a huge scam, even worse than the buy here pay here car lots. Trying to avoid overpaying on something that is going to fall apart within 2 years.

So where do you go for your furniture? Brands to watch out for and places I should avoid? No real budget in mind but I'm not trying to spend 10k on a couch. I guess I'd like to find something that is of decent quality without getting hosed. Just from my limited shopping this past week I can see how it'd be quite easy to buy shoddy furniture.

Any help is appreciated.

goodwill, the stuffs already pre tested..... Last I bought was from American signature in Ksaw. Good quality couch and loveseat that was priced better than others. Avoided the "1/2 Off!" out of the way places as what Ive seen of it , wont last long.

+1 on NO rooms to go BS and +1 on lightly used furniture when it comes too things with cushions. As for dressers, bookcases and other wood stuff I prefer pre 1940's or at least solid wood, i.e... no particle board

Just get some cinder blocks and plywood.

You can custom design everything you need with those.

If you want to get real fancy, you can use milk crates instead of cinder blocks.

For bed I highly recommend Original Mattress Factory in Marietta. Excellent quality for the price and excellent customer service. Will deliver to C'ville. Go there and check out different size and price points and they will have your mattress and springs built for you in a couple of days. I have also used the Select Comfort inflatable mattresses and they are fine too if you want to go that direction.. Very comfortable and last forever.

+1 on the mattress. There are some places where you should cut to save money. Your mattress is not one of them. As far as furniture goes there really aren't any good furniture places that I have found. 99% of stuff is the easy to assemble particle board crap. Or the shop who can make you some but will charge an arm and a leg. You just have to get out there and start trying things out. We went to like 10 different stores through a one month period before we decided on a couch.

And a word of advice. Always let her have the final say, or else years later when you find out it wasn't such a good deal she will make sure to say she told you so.:D

Brownlee's in Lawrenceville is reasonably priced and has a ton of stuff. For wood furniture, I'd recommend looking around locally and then calling several places in North Carolina for price comparison. We did that years ago and saved thousands. Good quality furniture will last many years, so try not to feel like you're throwing money away.

We ended up going with Pennsylvania House bedroom furniture. It's very nice, well made stuff. We have leather couches made by Lane. They also make pretty good stuff. As others have said, Rooms-to-go is going to be your lower end. We got out kitchen table by Canadel. It was pretty pricey, but is very nice.

We ordered the Pennsylvania House from North Carolina and ordered the couches and kitchen table/chairs/barstools from Brownlee's in Lawrenceville.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of buying a house (waiting to close), but the only thing I can visualize is moving in and having no place to sit or sleep. Many things I am but a furniture guru I am not, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I know to check for dovetailed drawers on the bedroom pieces, but not sure what to look out for when buying couches, chairs, etc. From what I hear the furniture business is a huge scam, even worse than the buy here pay here car lots. Trying to avoid overpaying on something that is going to fall apart within 2 years.

So where do you go for your furniture? Brands to watch out for and places I should avoid? No real budget in mind but I'm not trying to spend 10k on a couch. I guess I'd like to find something that is of decent quality without getting hosed. Just from my limited shopping this past week I can see how it'd be quite easy to buy shoddy furniture.

Any help is appreciated.
Check my latest threads. I have several pieces in very good condition, including IKEA.

Back
Top Bottom