• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanical Broadheads. Never again!!!!

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
As some of you know, I have made bad hits on the first two animals I ever shot at with a crossbow. A yote and the biggest buck of my life. I have been at a loss to explain it. The two things that are different with these shots from many I have taken with compound bows is that it is a crossbow and that I went to mechanical broadheads.

Another member mentioned in one of my threads about it, that he had experienced radically different accuracy between his practice mechanical and actual broadhead.

I finally got a chance to check that today. I had put a new scope on, so the first thing I did was zero and find the correct velocity adjustment for my bolt trajectory. I was using field points and the practice broadhead. The point of impact for them is identical. No problem shooting 1 inch groups at 30 yards off sticks. Then I started shooting with an actual mechanical.

The first thing was that the POI was way left at 20 yards. Okay, I adjusted the scope and got acceptable, but not great, groups at 20. Then I went back to 30 yards. What a disaster.

The bolt completely destabilized before it got to the target. 12 inch groups. I could see the bolt corkscrewing in the air. There were also a couple of times I know the blades didn't deploy because the broadhead was sticking out the back of the target and it was still closed.

My bad for not shooting the actual broadhead before I hunted with it, but through the years I have used practice heads of several different kinds of fixed blades and they always had the same POI as the broadhead, so I stopped checking.

I went to Bass Pro and talked to one of the crossbow guys. He sold me on the Slick Trick fixed four blade broadhead. The guy is a serious deer hunter (I saw the pics) and these are what he uses. Sure enough, I shot once at 20 yards, made a scope adjustment and the next shot was a bull's eye. I moved back to 30 yards and that shot was also a bull's eye. The bull's eye on my target is 1 inch diameter.

I will never use mechanical again. Ever.

If anyone wants six unfired 100 grain NAP Spitfire MAXX crossbow heads for free, come get them. But I wouldn't advice actually using them.

T
As some of you know, I have made bad hits on the first two animals I ever shot at with a crossbow. A yote and the biggest buck of my life. I have been at a loss to explain it. The two things that are different with these shots from many I have taken with compound bows is that it is a crossbow and that I went to mechanical broadheads.

Another member mentioned in one of my threads about it, that he had experienced radically different accuracy between his practice mechanical and actual broadhead.

I finally got a chance to check that today. I had put a new scope on, so the first thing I did was zero and find the correct velocity adjustment for my bolt trajectory. I was using field points and the practice broadhead. The point of impact for them is identical. No problem shooting 1 inch groups at 30 yards off sticks. Then I started shooting with an actual mechanical.

The first thing was that the POI was way left at 20 yards. Okay, I adjusted the scope and got acceptable, but not great, groups at 20. Then I went back to 30 yards. What a disaster.

The bolt completely destabilized before it got to the target. 12 inch groups. I could see the bolt corkscrewing in the air. There were also a couple of times I know the blades didn't deploy because the broadhead was sticking out the back of the target and it was still closed.

My bad for not shooting the actual broadhead before I hunted with it, but through the years I have used practice heads of several different kinds of fixed blades and they always had the same POI as the broadhead, so I stopped checking.

I went to Bass Pro and talked to one of the crossbow guys. He sold me on the Slick Trick fixed four blade broadhead. The guy is a serious deer hunter (I saw the pics) and these are what he uses. Sure enough, I shot once at 20 yards, made a scope adjustment and the next shot was a bull's eye. I moved back to 30 yards and that shot was also a bull's eye. The bull's eye on my target is 1 inch diameter.

If anyone wants six unfired 100 grain NAP Spitfire MAXX crossbow heads for free, come get them. But I wouldn't advice actually using them.
This is what i found out with my crossbow also. Fixed blades are definitely better and the heavier they are the better. Glad you got it figured out and the best of luck next season.

I’ll take em..!

I dont bow hunt so I hope this isnt a blatantly stupid question, but what is the advantages of the mechanical heads? Better accuracy or velocity?

Back
Top Bottom