• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Medic Pack?

Unless it's the Zombie Apocalypse I assume I'm no more than an ambulance ride away from a surgeon so I just carry a basic blow out bag to treat gunshots.
I carry a CAT tourniquet, a large pressure bandage, a roll of small gauze, some Quickclot, shears, a sharpie marker, some duct tape and a pair of gloves.
That covers my current level of knowledge so I don't carry IV bags of fluids, decompression needles or airways.

The beauty of you tube you can gain that knowledge, and the beauty of being a man your nipple is on the 4th intercostal space go one space lower and don’t angle it towards your heart

Sorry if a little off subject but what type of course would one need to take to utilize a good ifak to care for someone until the ambulance arrived? Where would this be available?
Tactical combat casualty care class, I think Tru prep offers a class that is basically the same. A good book to read is prehospital trauma life support military eighth edition. You can also see if you qualify for a pell grant as emt/paramedic programs are offered at tech colleges so it is not that expensive to get a deeper understanding of the basics covered in the tccc class.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 6
So Im putting my first chest rig together and I need some advice/ideas. I’ve got everything down such as mags carriers, dump pouches, and blah blah blah. I purchased a medic pack but I need some ideas on exactly what to have in it. Any one have military experience or any type of experience that could tell me the main things I should have and not a crazy amount of bull in the bag.
I was a medic in the Army for 6 years. The go to things you want would be trauma shears, a cat turniquite, folded gauze, tampons for gsws, ace wrap, nasopharangeal airway, medical tape and a CPR mask. With that set up you can handle almost anything. If you need any advice just pm me I'm happy to help.

I would use a dirty sock before I stuck a tampon in a bullet wound.
I get that they can be used if nothing else is available, but there are too many better options if you are building an IFAK.

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/severe-bleeding-first-aid-misconceptions-tampons/
Tampons are used a a quick fix only to get off the scene as fast as possible. Once the casualty is moved to a secondary scene you can then evaluate the wound and treat accordingly. I don't know about you but I want off scene as fast as possible to treat and stabilize the casualty. Tampons work well to plug the wound and more importantly they are sterile unlike a dirty sock. The cleaner you can keep the wound the more likely they are to survive and not develop a secondary infection. Of course none of these options will work for chest wounds. For that get a chest seal or you can use a thicker piece plastic and tape.

Tampons are used a a quick fix only to get off the scene as fast as possible. Once the casualty is moved to a secondary scene you can then evaluate the wound and treat accordingly. I don't know about you but I want off scene as fast as possible to treat and stabilize the casualty. Tampons work well to plug the wound and more importantly they are sterile unlike a dirty sock. The cleaner you can keep the wound the more likely they are to survive and not develop a secondary infection. Of course none of these options will work for chest wounds. For that get a chest seal or you can use a thicker piece plastic and tape.
If it is a sucking chest wound from a bullet hole, it would temporarily be excellent for and emergency.

True but only if it is inserted about 1/4 of an inch to ensure to does not enter the lung. For emergencies I prefer a latex gloves with tape provided I don't have any chest seals. One important note if sealing a sucking chest wound is to leave a burp valve or one corner untaped to allow a bleed off and hopefully avoid the lung collapsing. Also lay the casualty on the injured side to keep the other lung inflated

Back
Top Bottom