• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Medic Pack?

Tampons are used a a quick fix only to get off the scene as fast as possible. Once the casualty is moved to a secondary scene you can then evaluate the wound and treat accordingly. I don't know about you but I want off scene as fast as possible to treat and stabilize the casualty. Tampons work well to plug the wound and more importantly they are sterile unlike a dirty sock. The cleaner you can keep the wound the more likely they are to survive and not develop a secondary infection. Of course none of these options will work for chest wounds. For that get a chest seal or you can use a thicker piece plastic and tape.

Not all tampons are sterile, and even though I'm in Clayton County I'm not too concerned about not getting to a hospital where antibiotics are available so I'm more concerned about a tampon not preventing blood loss or falling apart inside me than I am about my dirty sock giving me the funk.

If I was in a third world country without my kit then yes- I would use what is available.
I choose not to carry tampons or feminine pads in my first aid kit because I don't have a menstrual cycle, which is what they are designed for, not puncture wounds.

Dont forget moleskin as an extra. Ibuprofen. Antiseptic. Anti diarrheal meds. Shears, med tape, tourniquet x 2, decompression needle (not hard to learn how and when to use), isreali bandages and quick clot bandages, chest seal, sterile gauze, sharpie. Ace bandage is good. Antibiotics like Doxycycline and penicillin. Duct tape and superglue. Tick spoon. That should be about the limit of basic medical know how. I want 2 of those syringes that you can stick in a wound to fill it and stop bleeding. Pricey though and it's not to keep me alive but to keep me in the game long enough to take them down with me if that is the situation :). Oh, and sterile gloves.

Looks like they came down in price. I remember them being more expensive........
https://www.liveactionsafety.com/ce...Q9VBc1LNHHgt6GNHExBe1bEeA7id3YKBoCgQoQAvD_BwE

That may be true but if the **** were to hit the fan, I highly doubt that hospitals would be operational let alone safe. I carried a few while deployed and had battle buddies that actually used them in combat. Remember most medications used in hospitals for trauma are administered via iv infusion, as a result a lot of the stronger antibiotics require refrigeration. I am coming more from a battlefield scenario and ways to quickly evac the casualty. I personally would prefer to use one on myself unless there was a major bleed, the go to in that case is always a tq on an extremity. For torso wand joint wounds a pressure bandage is the way to go. I also carry a variety of hemostats to clamp veins and arteries but that is not something you should undertake without experience as you can tear the artery or kill the casualty if you can't move quick enough. I should also mention that I carry a full aid bag in my car and keep one in my house. The tampon itself is not designed to hold mass amounts of blood but if you can keep the wound clean then you can patch them up later. Also you need to secure it within the wound. Products like quickclot have been shown to cause tissue damage as it carterizes the wound it burns the tissue which will have to be cleaned out before it is sealed up. This process can send the casualty into shock which is the single biggest cause of death in a battlefield scenario. If the hospitals are still operational then quickclot is fine as there are surgeons to repair the wound. If you want a cheap simple to use solution the a high quality sterile tampon is in my opinion the way to go.

That may be true but if the **** were to hit the fan, I highly doubt that hospitals would be operational let alone safe. I carried a few while deployed and had battle buddies that actually used them in combat. Remember most medications used in hospitals for trauma are administered via iv infusion, as a result a lot of the stronger antibiotics require refrigeration. I am coming more from a battlefield scenario and ways to quickly evac the casualty. I personally would prefer to use one on myself unless there was a major bleed, the go to in that case is always a tq on an extremity. For torso wand joint wounds a pressure bandage is the way to go. I also carry a variety of hemostats to clamp veins and arteries but that is not something you should undertake without experience as you can tear the artery or kill the casualty if you can't move quick enough. I should also mention that I carry a full aid bag in my car and keep one in my house. The tampon itself is not designed to hold mass amounts of blood but if you can keep the wound clean then you can patch them up later. Also you need to secure it within the wound. Products like quickclot have been shown to cause tissue damage as it carterizes the wound it burns the tissue which will have to be cleaned out before it is sealed up. This process can send the casualty into shock which is the single biggest cause of death in a battlefield scenario. If the hospitals are still operational then quickclot is fine as there are surgeons to repair the wound. If you want a cheap simple to use solution the a high quality sterile tampon is in my opinion the way to go.

What about the bandages impregnated with quick clot just for the outside of a wound at skin level to help wounds seal and control bleeding? I'd use just sterile gauze for inside if necessary. Issue with that?

What about the bandages impregnated with quick clot just for the outside of a wound at skin level to help wounds seal and control bleeding? I'd use just sterile gauze for inside if necessary. Issue with that?
The quickclot will still damage the tissue due to its exothermic properties. For deeper wounds not requiring a tq I recommend the use of z folded gauze to pack the wound then a pressure bandage that is tight enough to stem the bleed but not so tight that it cuts off circulation. I suggest practicing the wound packing on meat to get used to the amount of gauze that even a small wound can take, which may surprise you. As far as the pressure bandage try it on your leg and check the distal pedal pulse which is on the inside of the top of your foot near the ankle to ensure you still have a pulse.

Also don't trust the celox injectors for arterial bleeds as it takes a few minutes to control an arterial bleed due to pressure and flow and the casualty will still go into hemorrhagic shock. Pressure is your friend, for extremity bleeds cut the flow by putting your knee into the armpit or groin and apply full body weight until the bleeding stops and you can crank down the tq 2 inches away from the wound and 2 inches above or below the joint. Release the pressure from your knee slowly and ensure the bleeding is stopped. Secure the windlace of the tq with tape and note the time it was applied. A tq can stay on for 8 hours with no I'll effects, if it remains on past 8 hours the limb will need to be amputated due to the blood remaining in the limb past the tq becoming toxic, if it is allowed back into the body the casualty will die and there is no fix for that.

Back
Top Bottom