Metal Detector enthusiasts? aka Swingers??

You're that good you don't need a MD?!

I was doing a termite treatment on a house in Atlanta built in the 50s, after you've spent a few years looking at the ground picking coins and rings from the dirt your eyes and brain get pretty good at picking up that round shape. I swung the pick along the foundation and saw the quarter come out of the hole, poked around a bit and found the dime.

Last year we bought a metal detector for our kids. Not too expensive and it seems to work. The problem is that we have never been able to understand where we could actually (legally) use it.

My understanding is there rarely are ordinances that prohibit metal detecting. It's usually something about destroying property and someone interprets that to include metal detecting.

Some parks you need to get a permit. The advice I got is don't ask if you don't see a sign prohibiting it. Go during low traffic hours and people will leave you alone.

My understanding is there rarely are ordinances that prohibit metal detecting. It's usually something about destroying property and someone interprets that to include metal detecting.

Some parks you need to get a permit. The advice I got is don't ask if you don't see a sign prohibiting it. Go during low traffic hours and people will leave you alone.

Thats usually how it goes, Athens is off limits I think now and gwinnett is a pain as well. I skip the parks a lot anyway. Older home sites and schools are much more fun. The older a place is the more change you will dig. Plus more chance for silver coins and gold/silver jewelry. Water hunting is fun and used to remove a lot of the competition but that's kinda changed in the last few years.

Wife and I dug up about a 55 gal drum of beer bottle tops on the beach. First thing I found was a gold ear ring. I thought this is great, then all the trash. Also found a dime and some penny's.

It was still fun but a lot of work for what we found.

Thats usually how it goes, Athens is off limits I think now and gwinnett is a pain as well. I skip the parks a lot anyway. Older home sites and schools are much more fun. The older a place is the more change you will dig. Plus more chance for silver coins and gold/silver jewelry. Water hunting is fun and used to remove a lot of the competition but that's kinda changed in the last few years.

Do you ever have issues hunting at schools?

Wife and I dug up about a 55 gal drum of beer bottle tops on the beach. First thing I found was a gold ear ring. I thought this is great, then all the trash. Also found a dime and some penny's.

It was still fun but a lot of work for what we found.

You found a 55 gal drum just full of bottle tops?! That's strange. That must have taken awhile to dig up lol.

I have a whites spectrum xlt. I get the kids to follow me on a beach and show them where to dig. I'm stuck on the discrimination thing, like what NOT to dig. Some guys seem to hear a certain tone or get a high reading on the display and know when to dog and when to just move on along.

I've found coin and a Crap load of pull tabs. Found a men's gold ring once but that was naked eye.

Check out treasurenet forum!

Back
Top Bottom