• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal Detector Fail

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
So a buddy and I went out and did some shooting in the woods, and he brought along a metal detector. He got there an hour early and did some prospecting for old junk, hoping to find Civil War bullets in particular.

He didn't find anything. I asked him about his metal detector and how it worked. He described it for me and told me about the different numbers that would come up on the digital display when he passed the end over buried metal.

As a test, I drew my Kel-Tec P3AT,
fully loaded in magazine and chamber, and tossed it on the ground. I said
"why don't you show me how that works; pass the metal detector in the air a few inches above the ground and let's see what sound it makes and what numbers show on the display when you cross over the gun."

Well, he did that with the circular end of his scanner being only about 7 or 8 inches above the ground, nothing between his machine and my pistol except that air space. His detector barely made a small noise when it went over my pistol.

Then he said the digital display showed .4 and he doesn't normally dig if the reading is that low --he digs when he finds the numbers go up to .7 or .8.

So a buddy and I went out and did some shooting in the woods, and he brought along a metal detector. He got there an hour early and did some prospecting for old junk, hoping to find Civil War bullets in particular.

He didn't find anything. I asked him about his metal detector and how it worked. He described it for me and told me about the different numbers that would come up on the digital display when he passed the end over buried metal.

As a test, I drew my Kel-Tec P3AT,
fully loaded in magazine and chamber, and tossed it on the ground. I said
"why don't you show me how that works; pass the metal detector in the air a few inches above the ground and let's see what sound it makes and what numbers show on the display when you cross over the gun."

Well, he did that with the circular end of his scanner being only about 7 or 8 inches above the ground, nothing between his machine and my pistol except that air space. His detector barely made a small noise when it went over my pistol.

Then he said the digital display showed .4 and he doesn't normally dig if the reading is that low --he digs when he finds the numbers go up to .7 or .8.
What make/model was he using? I asked bambam bambam early this year to bring out a metal detector to try and locate a steel landscaping pin we put into the ground where we capped a water line from the well at the gun club (we were extending water to the other ranges on the property and needed to locate the terminus & dig that up).

It picked up everything, brass cases, steel cases, bullets, staples, etc. It was an exercise in futility since the property was leased as an impact range for the Army's Camp Wheeler in WWII. Now I take pictures, directions and measurements from permanent landmarks when we bury something out there.

Always been interested in metal detecting.

I've done that with my inexpensive Bounty Hunter with coins tossed on the ground. Sometimes not so good at picking them up but it seems when underground there is like a 'field' around the item that the detector senses, and as my Gullah friend To-mas says, "works mo better"

Back
Top Bottom