• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Military sniper or civilian long range shooters ( who is better)

The real question is, who would be the best with equal platforms to shoot? No reloads, factory ammo only, no modifications to the trigger, just a rifle & quality scope.

The real question is, who would be the best with equal platforms to shoot? No reloads, factory ammo only, no modifications to the trigger, just a rifle & quality scope.

With this I believe the military guy would come out on top. They have had to get good at shooting with what they are given. At least your average 11B type sniper. Now the SMU guys are a whole different beast.

Both have a special God given talent......you can't just make anyone a sniper or a great civilian long range shooter. You must build upon the talent with the proper training and repetition. I worked at Benning for many years and got to see several of the exercises as candidates were going through Sniper School. I also got to watch the Army Marksmanship Unit train and compete. The two are night and day. The snipers were more geared toward simulating "real world" circumstances/environments and the Marksmanship Unit guys were all about lead on paper (and damn good at it).

Who shoots better (Sniper or Civilian).....I don't know and I bet it would be close and if they went head to head it would be close to a 50 - 50 split. But, if it's a SHTF situation and I have to choose one of them......too easy....give me a trained Sniper any day.

Man I'm glad this topic has brought some spirited debate. I would like to say I have a great appreciation for anyone who fights for my rights and or life. Military police or politically. I don't mean to diminish military snipers prowess I have just found as a general rule through experience that when the government is in charge of something that you seem to get and inferior product as compared to the free market system. In competition shooting whether it be three gun, idpa, or sniper competitions it is almost always a civilian trained shooter who wins. There is only so good you can get at something in a couple of years. Can you imagine how good Michael Jordan would have been after only playing basketball for two years. This the reason that spec operation soldiers are older because it takes years and years to train to that level. But army snipers can be trained in 6 months.

But it's not 50 50. Look at competition shooting results and it is not the army guys who win half the time. Just like they don't win the marathons or ultimate fighting championships. I'm just saying I think most people think because you are and official army trained whatever you must the the best in the world at it. And I don't think there the case.

As a Corpsman, I used to set up shop at the range in the back of an Ambulance Jeep. One of the problems that plague Marines at the range is the concentration they put on firing. Quite a few 0311's shooting the bullseye will wrap the sling so tight on their arm that it will go numb. I never saw that kind of concentration with Army pop-ups. They were more like a video game.

If I remember right, Army will evaluate you for sniper training if you get either 38 or 39 of 40 Ivans. It was pretty basic, didn't really need to worry about elevation with any but the 300m targets. I'd swear you could shoot at the dirt in front of the 300's and they would fall.

If it is a shot for blood and your blood is at stake, the Military guy is hands down better trained. After that it is comes down to the individual. There are civilians who have the skill and the nerve.

Put it this way, normal civillian shooters can not live days without food, sleep 2hrs a night, and deal with the stresses of the battlefield. I will tell you shooting is only scratching the surface just like that show you were watching. Think your average civillian can find a 4"x4" clear plastic protractor at 500meters? Everyone that thinks they can shoot, thinks they are a sniper. It's not that easy guys, but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night

Back
Top Bottom